Unadventurous

The sun was peeking down behind the tall plants known as wheat. Wheat was used in a variety of ways, but to create flour for bread. Bread was something Lev had never dreamed about eating and it was just about the best thing he'd ever sunk his teeth into yet. Besides Trista's pasta. Jenton had sent them away with a loaf and they were walking back toward the city, kicking up the dust in the path, sun barely lighting the way before them.

"Alright, how do you feel after working on a farm for a few hours?" Zora asked and bit off a hunk of her bread.

"Disgusting. I need a shower."

"I am sorry to tell you that will not happen for a while yet. You must relish in your sweat for a bit longer, I'm afraid." She pumped her fist in the air, hair trembling as she smiled. "I have an excellent idea." Lev's stomach dropped. He was tired of her ideas. He wanted to rest. He'd just woken up from pretty much dying the other day and he was still trying to recuperate. It was like she was trying to drain him of his strength so he'd never be able to escape.

"I don't want any more of your ideas."

She rolled her eyes and punched his shoulder. "Lev, I hereby promise that you will enjoy this one. I realize I told you we would go back to the tower, but we must make a short detour first. What do you think of Jenton?"

Sometimes Zora thought entirely too fast for Lev to keep up. He was still formulating his thoughts on this new adventure. He didn't want that. He needed rest. Why couldn't she understand that? Kennedy had. Caddy even understood. "I don't know, he's fine. Why?"

"More than that, Lev. What about his person? What are your thoughts on him?"

Lev took a deep breath and looked up at the darkening sky. How long would she let them walk in silence before requiring a further answer?

"Well?"

Not very long. "I didn't like him at first. He's gruff. I was worried he'd hurt me if I did something wrong." Lev shook his head at the absurd thought. It was true. Why was he telling her these things? "But as the time went on, I grew used to him."

"You judge people too quickly. You cannot do that anymore, Lev. Not here."

"I judge people too quickly? Do you remember what it was like living in the East? Because I don't judge people too quickly. People judge me quickly. If I want to judge them back, I can."

"I would appreciate it greatly if you did not remind me about the East. I have not forgotten a single day although I have endeavored to." Zora tore her jacket from around her shoulders to reveal her birthmark and Lev stopped, eyes glued to it. They stood there, Zora staring defiantly at Lev, jacket in the dust, and Lev with his eyes on the purple mark that spanned her arm and shoulder until, finally, his eyes dropped to the ground. "Yes. I thought so. You have already forgotten I have had my own share of suffering. Do you think I was accepted by people? Do you think I had easygoing at Higher Learning? Because I assure you, Lev, I did not." Zora scooped her jacket up, tucked it under her arm, turned on her heel,and strode toward the city.

Pinpricks of pain swept through Lev's heart as he watched her walk away. Her birthmark was dark against her fair skin. He was always doing and saying the wrong things. Zora couldn't be satisfied with him no matter how hard he tried. He only seemed to keep bringing her pain. He didn't want to remind her of things she'd tried to forget.

And it hit him.

He was too wrapped up in himself, wasn't he? Was that his problem? In his quest to receive answers for his own understanding and fulfillment, he ignored the world around him. He ignored others and everything they were going through. He was stuck in a constant loop of his mind. He had been for a long time throughout his life, hadn't he? When had it begun? It had gone on year after year, he was sure of that.