Unexpected

This morning had gone by in a blur not only because Lev could hardly see, but he had no awareness of time after the morning synth session. He hadn't had one of those in a long time and it was throwing his body for a loop. Too much synth in too short of a time would only prove to be more detrimental than helpful.

The bridge had been skipped for a second time in so few days, but not because Lev had better things to do. Because he couldn't remember to go.

And now he was following Ker to HLC, but he couldn't even put into thoughts his feelings on the matter because he had none at the present moment.

Ker slowed to walk beside him. "You look awful, Lev." She, in comparison, looked much better. Her face was still clear and something more like light or life or sparkles or whatever it was shone in her eyes.

"Thanks." He stumbled forward and her hand latched around his arm.

"You know, it's a good thing I'm here. You'd never make it to Higher Learning if I wasn't. Why are they making you do this? It's so weird." She shook her head and weaved her arm through his. "Anyway. Step by step, Lev. You need to keep going forward. When we get there you can sit in a chair."

Lev yawned and blinked a few times. "Good."

"You're making no sense, you know. Is this why you never talk? No...when you do talk you usually make sense."

The world was spinning before Lev. It seemed that no matter what he did the world was always going to spin. Take synth and have reactions, world spins. Don't take synth and don't have reactions, world spins. Another thing to add to the list of not understanding.

Another surge of burn spread from the soles of his feet to his head and his throat felt constricted. It would be over soon, at least. But it would come again for the evening session and Lev knew he wouldn't be able to handle that. It was too much for him.

But the urge to panic was pushed away by the dullness within the burning until there wasn't even a thought about panicking.

He stumbled again and Ker yanked on his arm. "Lev! You have to pick up your feet or you'll never make it in time!"

Blur, blur, blur.

A sudden remembrance lightbulbed into Lev's mind. "The bridge."

"What about it?"

"I have to sit in front of it." He began to pull away from her, headed in the opposite direction.

"No you don't!" She pulled back, towards the octagon of thirteen levels. "You don't have to sit there, you know? Anyway, it's too late. You'll have to go later. I'll go with."

"Why?" He pulled for a moment longer, then stopped to go along with Ker.

"What? Why did I volunteer to do this for you? Come on, Lev! You know how the Generators don't like us to be late!"

"The Generators are always late."

"No they aren't!"

"What are you talking about, Ker?" Lev shook his head and ran a trembling hand through his hair. The burning was slowly disappearing and it was becoming easier to breathe with each step he took. But his mind was still foggy and his vision blurry.

"Just follow me, you know? That'll get you where you need to go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The windows didn't shine as brightly today. Lev's eyes were able to relax although they were dry and felt like they'd blown up a few dozen times their normal size. Things were still a bit blurry, but he was calm and that was a nice change. He couldn't remember for the world of him if he was supposed to do anything but sit there, but it'd come back eventually, so he wasn't worried about what would happen. He'd figure it out.