26 - Suspicions

On our last day, I received a package at my hotel room. It was not signed and I was half expecting it to be from Rob as a parting gift perhaps. For a second, I thought of the previous gifts I received at my school locker, they have the same gift wrapper as the one I received. It may just be a coincidence or could it be the same sender?

I opened the gift and screamed at the contents. It was a picture of me with note written in red ink "I will get you SLUT!!!" taped inside the box. The worst part is the crawling worms and cockroaches all over it. I immediately closed the box and threw it outside the room.

Rob must have heard me from across the hall. He opened his door and saw me pale faced and in shock. He looked at the box and back at me. That was when everything sunk in and I started to cry.

He hastily approached as if he was scared of what was happening to me. He kept on looking at the box and at me. He kicked the box away without asking me what was inside that made me act so scared.

When he reached me, he just hugged me and said sorry. He kept on saying sorry. I told him what happened. That I have been receiving gifts like that back at home but this time it was awful.

"It was like the person was suddenly mad at me or something. What could I have done to deserve that? I never did anything wrong to anyone. Not that I know of. Who could have done this?"

"Shhhh. . . I'm sorry Saphira. You don't deserve any of this. You are a good person inside and out. Stop crying. We'll sort this out, I promise."

"I thought I could still have fun tonight before we leave tomorrow but now, I don't think I could."

"The more reason we have to go. So you can forget about this thing. It would be a waste of time to just sit here and cry. We'll have fun. Don't we always?"

"But. . . is it safe for me to go out there? Maybe he's here or whoever that is who sent that box."

"He can't reach you when I'm near. We will double the guards around us if that will make you feel safer."

"Thank you Rob for being here."

"Now, come on up. Get dressed and I will wait for you outside the hall."

He kissed my forehead and stroked my hair. It was a very sweet gesture and I appreciated everything he does for me.

While getting dressed, I thought about the gifts I received in the past versus this recent one. It always did have something to do with my activities for that day. It was like the person sending the gift is watching me closely or freakishly stalking me.

One time I received a bear after discussing with Franco that I want some new stuffed animal to cuddle. One time, a chocolate bar which I have been eyeing in the vendo machine at school. The other gifts I can't remember but the most prominent one was the picture in the box, it was my picture this morning while still waiting for the conference to start. It was when I was looking for and waiting for Rob to show up.

Grim realization made me shiver. Could it be that the one sending the gifts was with me all along? How can I not see this coming? The one who was always trying to talk to me and ask me out at school, the one person who can be near me without me being suspicious and the only one person who was with me at school and here at the hotel is. . .

A knock at the door.

But why? Could it really be him? Was that why he was acting all strange all of a sudden?

An incessant knocking brought me out of my reverie.

"Saphira, are you alright?"

I have never been scared in my whole life like I was feeling now.

"Im alright. . . but I am suddenly not feeling well. Can I just call it a night? I want to sleep early."

"Can't you open this door Saphira? So we can talk? I thought you already agreed to go out tonight."

"No! I mean no. I am fine. I am feeling weak and want to rest. But don't worry. I will be better after I sleep this off."

There was silence for a few minutes and I thought Rob already left.

"Saphira, are you sure? I think you're hiding something from me."

"Rob, Im fine really. Just go with our friends."

A very loud sigh was heard from the other side of the door.

"Alright, you know you can just tell me anything and whatever you need I can give you. Please just don't go out of this room until I get back? I am really worried about you."

Sincere sadness was eminent in his voice and I almost opened the door to see him.

"I'll let you rest but I'll be back later to check on you. Please be safe."

"Yes. Thank you Rob. Enjoy the night!"

"I won't have fun nor be happy without you Saphira. Never."

I almost did not hear those last words and I felt guilty for being suspicious of him. Rob, who had been my only friend here. For the past days, he took good care of me. He was a perfect gentleman, never taking advantage of our friendship and our closeness.

How could I suspect that he was the one behind all this stalking and craziness is beyond me. It is not Rob, the fear dissipated and was replaced with worry that I could lose our friendship if I didn't go and follow him.

After a few minutes more of weighing the alternatives, I decided to join him and our friends. I quickly finished dressing up and went outside the room.

I was waiting for the elevator when I felt someone approach. Then strong arms grabbed me. A soft cloth with a dizzy spell or solution covered my nose and mouth.

My last recollection was seeing someone wearing a black hooded mask before I succumb to darkness.