17 - Care

A/N : Picture of Saphira (Blake Lively)

-0-0-0-0-0-

One week passed since Franco told me about his past. We were both busy the days that followed because of our exams, his work and the launch of my restaurant.

I was searching for him at the cafeteria where we were supposed to meet when I saw Francine and her group. They were talking animatedly to another girl, probably the transfer student that I was still not able to encounter.

Their group stood up to get their food. The girl stood up and turned around. When I saw her face I felt my knees buckle with the sudden emotion that came over me. Even if I have only seen her face in pictures, I still recognized her. I will never forget that face.

Madeleine.

I remembered that Franco will meet me here and I knew I had to keep him away from the cafeteria so that they will not see each other.

I was so flustered that when I turned to get out of that place I bumped on another person and all his food came flying. Some even landed on my head and face. Talk about a silent exit.

"Hey, are you alright? Sorry. I was not looking at where I was going."

The handsome man steadied me and tried to remove the food that was now sticking on my hair and face.

"Here, use my hanky."

"Thanks. I'm sorry too. I was kind of in a hurry and was also not looking."

"Here, let me."

He was wiping my face with his handkerchief even if he was also soaked with juice and water from our collision. I can't look at his face as I was really embarrassed and I can feel the eyes of everyone at the cafeteria looking at us.

"Thanks."

To make things worse, Francine and her group approached and being the good persons that they were, they did what they were used to.

"Hey nerd. If you want to get noticed by Rob here you could have just approached him and not causing a scene."

"Francine. That was uncalled for."

"Rob, don't be a victim of her conniving ways. She's pretending to be distressed so you will notice her."

"I don't care if she was pretending, at least she looked innocent enough, unlike you. Just leave us alone."

"Don't tell me I didn't warn you."

I saw them leave and I can't help but look at Madeleine who just watched at her new friends humiliate me publicly. I was thankful for this Rob person that he defended me.

Wait, Rob? As in the gorgeous Rob the captain of our varsity basketball team, the Rob who was every girl's fantasy in school? At some point, he was also my crush, well, before I met Franco that is.

"Hey, are you alright? Don't mind her. She was just being her awful self."

"Don't worry. I'm used to it. Well, thanks again and sorry for ruining your meal. I have to go."

"Wait. I'm Rob and you are?"

"Saphira. Bye."

And so I hurriedly left the cafeteria to search for Franco. I have to warn him that his ex was the new girl in school. If only his old cellphone was still working then I wouldn't have to search for him.

-0-0-0-0-0-

Looking all over the school for Franco was killing my feet. I really have to give him a new phone so I can just text or call him but I'm sure he will not like it. For his birthday next month I just have to force him to accept a cellphone as my gift.

I wonder what could have happened that he was not able to meet me at the cafeteria for lunch. Since I wasn't able to find him, I went to our next class. He was not there either and the rest of the day I was not able to see him.

After school, I went to the café where he works but they said he took a leave for the day. So I went to their house.

After a few knocks on the door, he answered and he looked sick and pale.

"Hey, you didn't tell me you were going home."

"I felt sick and didn't want you to get worried. What are you doing here?"

"I was very worried when I couldn't find you in school. Hey. Come on let's get you inside."

He looked dizzy and about to fall when she caught him and helped him inside.

"Is your mom here?"

"No. She had to go to work."

"Have you eaten anything?"

He just shook his head. I felt his forehead and he was having a high fever. I helped him on his bed and pulled up the covers as he seemed to feel cold.

"Get some rest and I will cook something for you."

I stroked his hair to make him feel that I was there to take care of him.

I went to their kitchen and could not find anything to cook. So I called my driver to buy some grocery for a chicken soup and several food items and medicine for him.

While waiting, I got some wet towels and gently wiped his arms, hands, neck, forehead and feet to regulate his body temperature. I was glad that he was in deep sleep so his body could heal easily.

When the drive arrived, I cooked his chicken soup. He was still asleep and I did not want to wake him up so while waiting, I also cooked dinner for him and his mom. I even cleaned their house to pass the time.

It was past seven pm when I felt him stir beside me. I was lying on his bed as I felt tired with all the cooking and cleaning up I did.

"How are you feeling?"

"Hungry, but better. It's already late. Did you tell your parents where you were?"

"Shut up and keep your strength. Yes of course my driver and guards are waiting for my call. My parents are in Europe and yes I told them I will be staying with a friend."

"Good. Thank you for staying with me."

"Wait here, I will reheat your food."

When I return, he was asleep again and this time I had to wake him up so he can eat and take his medicine.

"Hey, wake up sleepy head. You have to eat."

He was struggling to get up and I had to help him. The close proximity of our bodies make me feel hot too. I wonder if I am also having a fever.

"Thanks."

"Here, let me."

Like his own private nurse, I fed him the chicken soup. Seeing his appreciative face while eating the food I cooked brought me immense happiness. After feeding him, I gave him his medicine.

"Go lie down again. You may sleep again so you will feel better."

"How about you? Have you had your dinner?"

"I did while I was cooking. Of course I had to taste if the food I made was edible enough."

"Your food is amazing as always. If this is the life of a sick person, I guess being sick is not bad at all."

"Silly! You have to get well soon so you can get back at school. We can't relax now that finals are near. You know we have to graduate first in our class right."

"You will graduate first and I will be second place. I have learned to accept that fact way back."

"Oh shut up. You are a worthy competition. Just studying with you is challenging enough."

"Saphira?"

When I looked at him I saw it again, the look of adoration and tenderness laced with gratitude.

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Franco! I'm home! I bumped into someone and she's now here to visit you."

His mother was back and as I heard, with a guest.

When they entered the room, I felt like I wanted to get sick right there and then just to escape the confrontation that will soon occur.