DAY ONE

MEI

HOLOCENE BY BON IVER

"HAVE a good day at school, Mei. If you feel any trouble with your leg, go to the nurse or contact us, alright?"

My caramel eyes peered up at my Ma, Jane, nodding. "Got it, Ma. Love you both." I whispered softly, leaning over and giving both my Ma and Dad a peck on the cheek and an awkward hug due to the position we were all in.

I opened the car door, stepping out carefully. I heard ice crunch underneath my feet, my eyes watching the ground carefully so I wouldn't fall. It's as if I'm afraid to inflict any damage onto my legs, as if it would worsen my leg. I know it wouldn't, but my mindset is vulnerable.

I felt numerous pairs of eyes on me, casting my eyes downwards. My short, brown hair couldn't hide my face, but it didn't matter. I felt hidden and invisible already, just as I wanted. My plan was in effect.

I go to a public school, but we have to wear uniforms. Girls wear skirts tampered to any length we want, (obviously not right below your bum) and in the winter we wear long-sleeved blue sweaters with red ties. In the summer, it's short sleeved. The boys wore either khakis or skinny jeans and the same tops as the girls, but more..manly.

As most girls in my school, they have their skirts short. As for me, I have mine right at my knees. People call me weird for having my skirt so long, but I don't care. I just don't respond to them.

Walking into the school, I walk straight to my locker, hearing loud talking everywhere in the hallways. Everyone was laughing and smiling, and my heart pounded harshly in my chest as I passed up my old friends. Some of them gave looks of pity and some others gave off disgust, but I pretended to pay no mind as I came to my locker.

Entering my combination, I unzipped my backpack, taking out the books, binders, and folders I needed for the couple first bells. I knew I was going to be early for the first bell, so I decided to go to the third floor music room. It was isolated due to a mythical horror story, but even if ghosts existed, they might as well take me. I might be on the brink of death as I walk right now.

I shut my locker, walking as fast as I could to the third floor. Teachers always recommend me to use the elevator, but if I don't use my legs, they'll become more numb to me. Although it may hurt to walk at times, I still try to walk my way around unless I'm at risk for a bone fracture. My bones are fragile, softening, and like glass.

Finally arriving at the third music room, I sighed, opening the large doors. I closed them behind me, sighing and opening my eyes.

As usual, it was completely abandoned. I set down my books on top of the piano, sitting on the seat nearby. Pressing my lips together, my fingertips grazed over the familiar chords to one of my favorite songs.

Holocene by Bon Iver. I was more into relaxing, indie music than pop. I didn't recognize a bunch of other genres other than indie.

I started to press down on the keys to the chorus of the song, parting my lips to sing some of the lyrics quietly.

"..and once I knew, I was not magnificent."

I breathed softly, singing the lyrics in a hushed whisper, yet with tone laced within.

I felt apart of the piano as the small pads of my fingers pressed against the piano keys. The music flooded into my head, filling me from head to toe. Each note brought a smile within me, and although it was not presently seen on my lips, it was shining inside what was left of my body.