Chapter Three

Stephen looked after Lady Ginny Sherman as she retreated. The girl intrigued him, though she was clearly afraid of him. He didn't mean to appear so frightening, but the military had made him that way he supposed. It couldn't be helped.

He peered down at Lady Rosamaria Sherman who was hanging on his arm like a life line.

"I just love attending balls. Being immersed in the crowd and dancing the night away..."her fingers trailed up his arm. She leaned closer to him. "What about a dance, Lord Knightly? Dance with me."

He turned his face away slightly, ignoring her pouty red lips, "I don't enjoy dancing."

"You're just like my sister!" Lady Rosamaria said in disgust. She turned her pretty little lips up into a seductive smile. "But no matter. I don't mind a man who doesn't like to dance. We can simply chat instead."

He stood there quietly, studying her. Lady Rosamaria was definitely different from the other girls. He had met her last year at one of the balls. She had been wearing the same shade of seducing red, her lips the same shade. It was hard to resist a girl that was putting all of her attentions towards him. And Lady Rosamaria knew that very well.

He also hadn't realized she had a sister. Honestly, he was surprised. They were polar opposites. They had the same dark hair and bright blue eyes. They clearly took after the Countess's handsome features. But Lady Ginny had a constant look a fear in her eyes and she seemed skittish. Lady Rosamaria was bold and beautiful, like a Siren calling him to his watery grave.

"I didn't realize you had a sister." He said, voicing his thoughts.

She scowled, "I don't wish to talk about her."

He caught a hint of disappointment mixed with disgust in her voice. She tugged on his arm a mysterious look in her eyes, "How about we do something more exciting than chit-chat?"

"It was your suggestion and I do enjoy talking about your family. Why not tell me about the Earl and Countess of Stockwell? How do they fair?"

Lady Rosamaria licked her lips, drawing his attention to them. She smiled, "Surely you don't wish to talk about my family. That's no fun. Besides, I've changed my mind and I'm bored. Come with me."

Stephen hesitantly allowed himself to follow the maiden from the room. She led him into one of the dark hallways, giggling to herself. She stopped abruptly and turned to face him. Before he knew what she was about, she had her arms wrapped around his neck and was pressing her body to his. His hands automatically went to her hips, not to draw her closer but to push her away. Stephen turned his face upwards, away from her intruding lips.

"What are you doing?!" He hissed quietly.

Lady Rosamaria frowned and pulled away slightly, "Giving you what you want, obviously."

"You've read my intentions wrong, then, Lady Rosamaria Sherman. I may be courting you, but I must give respect to your father, the Earl, His Grace. What would he say if he saw you right now?" He began to say, pulling away from her.

"Oh hush. You're a man. I know of your desires." She said suggestively, ignoring him as she pulled him down for a kiss.

Stephen shook her off of him and growled, "Enough!" He knew that he couldn't let her kiss him, or he wouldn't be able to stop himself from going further. He wouldn't forgive himself  if he ruined this girl.

"But Stephen..." She pouted.

Stephen slowly backed her up against the wall and slammed his hand beside her head. She flinched and pressed herself up against the wall. Stephen studied her, shivering beneath him with a mixture of fear and desire. Lady Rosamaria didn't know what she was doing, trying to seduce him like that. She clearly had some expertise in this field, and he wondered if she hadn't tried this little trick on a handful of young men. But he would put an end to this and put the girl in her place. She had to understand this was unacceptable behavior.

"Your father will hear about this from me. I have been very gracious in offering you my hand in courtship and later in marriage and this kind of behavior is unacceptable." He growled, glaring at her. "And you will address me as Lord Knightly. You are hardly suitable to do otherwise. Is that understood?"

Lady Rosamaria nodded, fear clearly stealing the words from her mouth. Stephen stepped away from her and marched angrily to the front door. He finally had had enough of women trying to seduce him for his money. They were all the same. They all wanted his riches and title. He had honestly hoped Lady Rosamaria Sherman would be different. He was wrong once again.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

So you've gotten to know the characters a little bit now. I'm hoping that you like Ginny. I'm trying to make her seem pleasing. Also, I won't be able to update for a while so I do apologize for that. For now, votes and comments would be greatly appreciated while you wait. Thanks! :)

-Rosanna