Chapter Two

*Spelling errors and language in this chapter. Please excuse them!*

"Cameron? Wake up dear," a soothing voice says, slightly shaking my left shoulder. I shrug the hand off sleepily, turning my body so that I am laying on my stomach. I begin to fall back asleep, that is until a large mass collapses on top of me.

"Oof!" I grunt into my pillow. A familiar laugh sounds in my ear. Ali.

"Get up, fat ass," I mumble loud enough for her to hear. She giggles again, picking her body off of me.

"Cameron, please do watch your language and comments," says the other older feminine voice. "They could end up hurting someone's feelings."

I turn my head and open one of my eyes to see my grandma standing with one hand on her hip. I should of known it was her.

"Whatever," I reply, sitting up and begin stretching my limbs. Granny lets out a long sigh.

"The proper saying is 'Yes ma'am'. Not 'whatever'. Do you understand?" She scolds, trying to be as calm as possible. It is way too early in the morning for this.

"Yes ma'am," I reply, rolling my eyes. That causes her to lose her cool.

"Please do not roll your eyes at me! I will not have this attitude in my house! Do you understand me, young lady?" She exclaims, pointing a short manicured finger at me.

"Yes ma'am. I will not roll my eyes anymore. I am truly sorry." I manage to say. I was tempted to say 'I am sorry but I cannot be the perfect little angel that you want me to be'  but I was already frustrated with hearing her annoying and nasally voice this early in the morning. Better to make the red queen happy than to be beheaded on the spot.

"I am going to go make you girls breakfast," she sighs, exiting the room. The minute she is out of the room, I collapse back down on my mattress and roll my eyes. Ali sighs and laughs, laying down next to me on my bed.

"What are you thinking about?" Ali asks, staring at the ceiling and playing with a loose piece of her blonde hair.

I sigh. "Mom."

"Yeah, I have been thinking about her all night last night." We sat in silence.

"I miss her," I choke. Don't cry. Don't cry.

"Yeah, I know. I do too," she replies sadly but then turns her head towards me, looking me right in the eye. "But we are in California now! Don't you think it would be fun to get out and explore this state? I mean, it is one of the coolest states that we have ever been!"

I nod, knowing that she is completely right.

"My point is, you don't have to be sad forever. Our lives are so short that we should have fun while we still can. Mom is gone. It sucks. But don't let that tie you down for the rest of your life. There are places to go and people to meet. " She explains, sounding a lot older than she actually is. That is something to know about Ali; she always knows what to say. "There is a party at one of the beaches tomorrow night. I saw it in a billboard yesterday as we were on our way to grandma's house. We should go tomorrow! It will be fun and a great opportunity to meet some people our age!"

"I don't know," I mumble, not liking the idea of a party with tight crowds and a bunch of drunk teens. That's how most parties go in high school now a days.

"Remember, there are people to meet. Might as well try and make some friends now. Besides, you would get a break from grandma's constant correcting. " I think it over for a moment. It would be nice to get away from her.

"Fine," I finally say. She squeals and hugs me before letting me go and making a serious face.

"Don't say fine, say yes ma'am!" Ali proclaims, wiggling her a finger in the air and trying to imitate grandma's voice. I laugh at her failed attempt and she giggles with me. "I am going to go finish unpacking. I will see you at breakfast."