Chapter 3: Future Worries

Chapter 3

Future Worries

            The bed I woke up in wasn’t mine. There were blue flowers on the bland design of the white sheet, the bed was hard, and the pillow was way too thin. I looked to my right and saw a bone colored rail, and up against the wall was an old looking sofa complete with its own Lambert and my mom. They were on opposite sides of the small thing. Yes. She was a vampire, I could see it.

            Lambert jumped up when he saw me moving. He had changed clothes, and so had Mom. How long have I been out of it? I hope not too long. I was scared. He bent over me and hugged me awkwardly because I was still lying down. I tried to hug him back but his body was preventing any potential moving of my limbs. He got up and looked attractive for once in his life.

            "Lex? Can you hear me?" he sounded very tired. I nodded, or tried to. My head isn’t that heavy, is it? "Oh, God, thank you!" My mom shot up out of her seat.

            "Alexis! You're awake! You've been out for two days now! God, baby, Lambert told me everything," she paused and looked at my friend and he nodded. "Everything, from what happened to me 'til you passed out." Her pale gray-blue eyes bore into mine and I suddenly looked away. Those were the eyes of a demon. "Honey, don’t be scared, please. I'm still the same person; I'm your mother, I love you." She smiled a smile without fangs. She looked normal. Almost.

            She's my mother; I've got to love her. I tried to smile; but it probably looked more like a grimace. I gave my attempt at sitting up, but I felt more like a fish flopping out of water. She quickly, right before I fell back to the mattress, put her hand to my back and pushed me up into sitting position. While she was doing this, with her other hand she was holding down the button so my hospital bed would prop me up when she let go. Her hand felt freezing against my bare back. Stupid crappy hospital dresses, they don’t even cover my back! She put me down carefully and smiled another genuine smile. She is my mom. I do love her. She looked like she was in pain; horrible pain. Maybe it hurt to be a vampire; Lambert and I didn’t go over the pain of being a vampire. Maybe only some of them hurt, maybe only the Infants; maybe Mom was just having a bad day. Yeah, I didn't want to think of her as a vampire; she was just having a bad day, like normal people-they have bad days.

            Now that I was awake, I started to feel uncomfortable. The IV in my arm was itching, my hair felt like it hadn’t been washed in a day (which was probably true), the bed was hard, and I had an excruciating head ache. Yeah, this week will go badly, I just know it.

            I stayed in the hospital for another twenty-four hours so the doctors and nurses could observe me while I slept and made sure that I was stable. I had discovered that my room was a shared room. The other girl in the bed looked around eighteen, and honestly, looked like crap… her skin was pale, her eyelids looked bruised and blue, her expression looked as if she was in excruciating pain, although she seemed to be in a coma or something. I suddenly pieced it together: she was turning into a vampire; she will be a full blown vampire in around a day. As I was staring at her, Lambert snapped his fingers in my face.

            "Hey, are you ok?" he asked. I nodded.

            "Is she--" I feebly pointed to the girl. He seemed to know what I meant, he nodded.

            "Sadly," he said and frowned. "I have to tell you something."

            "What more can you tell me?" I tried to laugh but I was just too tired.

            "Well, you already know about your mom. She's told you that she knows you know about her being a vampire. She said she was scared. She also knows what I am. What I have to do when I'm older. She's nervous," he shook his head in disgust. "I hate those damn monsters."