Prologue: Time

Prologue 

Time

            My vision was blurred and spinning, my head pounding; the artery in my thigh, puntured. I wasn’t exactly in the best shape. The marble floors were cool on my cheek and I just wanted to die there. With all of the willpower I could manage, I pushed myself off the floor, the pain blinding me.

            Though my vision was failing, my hearing was still impeccable. I heard the man cock his pistol and compose himself to deliver the fatal blow. In my state I was still faster than the man and grabbed the pistol on my hip, and fired. The man was dead before he hit the ground, a shot to the forehead does that to you.

            I need to heal, and fast, even vampires can die from lack of blood. I probe the inside of my leg wound as I’m crawling to my newest kill, and find the bullet and tear out of my flesh. The man’s perfect blood was still warm as I tore out his femoral artery. I consume every pint of blood in the man’s dead body in just a few minutes.

            I could feel my skin start to knit back together at my leg wound and decide I have to stand up before someone else reaches the control room. I’m one of the only ones left. I start limping down the white hallway, and soon, I was running, my body had healed itself beautifully.

            “Number Two, are you there?” I hear in the small earpiece that was given to me at the beginning of all this. Yes was all I could think to say.

            As I neared the room, I could hear the clock counting down, I had to get there faster. My speed wasn’t enough, I would fail my mission.

            “If only I had more time…”

            The hall must have been a mile long, but somehow, due to the new strength in me from the dead man, I reached my goal, only to see that whatever I was supposed to do, was not easily gained… I needed Reece, and now.

            “Hello? Number One, come in!”

            “Right behind you,” I hear, not in my ear, but yes, behind me. My savior had arrived. The two of us now stood a chance against the army of humans and guns trained on us in the room.

            “Together,” he said, I nod.

            Our speed and stealth gave us an advantage over the men. We snuck into the room and killed three of them simultaneously, thanks to the weapons from our leader. Now, only fifteen men remained. Easy pickings for the two of us.

            The clock was still counting down, “Twenty, Nineteen, Eighteen,” the female computer voice was sounding on the intercom.

            He picked me up and threw me across the room, in flight, I angle myself to kill eight of them. My special high heels provided by The Group were used as weapons. I kick two of them between the eyes, bullet-like wounds, my signature. I land on all fours, my hands break my fall and my right leg swings out from under me. I trip three of the men, in the time it takes them to fall, I had already whipped out my pistol, cocked it and shot all three.Three more.

           The three soldiers started to shoot at me, but my speed helped me dodge the bullets. I try to shoot them, but damn, I was out of bullets, how the hell did that happen? Not wanting to waste any more time I punch a man in the face, then rip his heart straight out of his chest. The next one, I give him a round kick to the head, taking it clean off. The last, I will him to shoot himself in the head. It worked.

          "Ten, Nine, Eight..."

           The smell of blood filled the room, only making us stronger. When I was pre occupied with my share, he had killed five more of the soldiers. Leaving the last two left for me.  I ran to a stout man in chair in front of a computer and crushed his skull with my elbow, part of his brain oozed out. Even I thought it was a gruesome sight.

            I kicked the AK 47 out of the other man’s grasp, threw the man on the floor, grabbed his head by each ear, twisted, and broke his neck. A much cleaner death in my mind.

            “Four, Three, Two…”