The Bucket List

The Bucket List

Prologue

“It’s going to be you against the world, Liz,” Aaron said as he tucks my hair behind my ear.

I nodded weakly and whispered, “I know.” Biting back my tears, I forced myself to smile.

“You know, you’ve always been special,” He said while looking deep into my eyes. “You’re always was and  always will. Remember that, no matter what they do or say, never let them bring you down. You’re special and let them know that.”

I nodded weakly again. I wish I could turn his ‘you’ into ‘us’ or ‘we’ but I can’t of course. If only life could be fair with me, even once. But living a life for almost nineteen years, there’s one thing I’ve learned through it all. There’s no bad or good, lucky or unlucky, it’s all about how you deal with them.

“So, I guess its good bye for now,” I said weakly. I bit my lip harder that it actually hurt to stop my tears from falling. Aaron nodded, “So, good bye.”

I glanced at Taylor, Aaron’s girlfriend and smiled at her faintly. If she only realizes how lucky she is, I’d be glad to be her friend, but in the mean time, we both need to realize what lies ahead. I clutched my bags and give them one final hug.

Surprising, Taylor didn’t protest in the hug, instead she hugged me tighter and whispered, “You know, I hate to admit it, but I think that Aaron’s right. You’re special and show them what they’re missing.”

I couldn’t help but smile. Who knows this side of Taylor actually exist. There’s one thing I’m going to miss, Taylor’s total obnoxiousness. I never really thought I’d miss her. I guess no one could ever realize how important someone or something is until they lost it. Now, I’m going to lose everything important to me.

“Hey,” Aaron said after a full two minute hug with Taylor. I smiled at him proudly but tears were streaking down my cheeks. “Hey, superstar.” I laughed, how could he joke around? “You’re special.”

I saluted at him, “Yes, sir. I know, sir.” And then he gave me two thumbs up.

“Go show them what they’re missing. And you know where to send postcards!” Taylor called out as I head toward the airport.

I turned them, “Thanks, guys!” I managed to say.

They both nodded in my way as saying ‘No problem’ and then out of the blue, Aaron called out again, “Go show the world what you and you’re bucket list can do!”

And with that, I left with a big smile on my face even though inside I’m crying. Crying that I have to leave and travel alone. Crying, longing for someone who can never be mine. And I guess that’s love. It’s about bearing you’re feelings knowing that he deserves someone better. That he deserves to be happy with someone else.

I smiled. “Here I am world. I take your challenge.”