Chapter Thirty Six (Edited 8/25/2021)

8/25/2021 - Thank you for baring with me and all of the technical issues with posting this chapter! Editing a story that was already completed is sort of difficult on Wattpad at times... but it's finally uploaded! This is a drastic change from the original plot, so I'm both excited and nervous to read the comments.

Silently Falling: Chapter Thirty Six

The rest of the school day went the same. By lunch, it was completely out that my voice was back. Every table I walked past had people watching me as they whispered to their friends; no subtlety to their stares and their gossip relentless. While their rumors circulated through the halls, I was too busy avoiding every face in fear of meeting his icy blue eyes.

Only at the very end of the day, when the final school bell sounded through the speakers, did I let out my first real breath of relief. Warren never showed and I got away with another day avoiding the inevitable.

As I pack my backpack to walk out of my last class of the day, I catch a glimpse of a familiar gray Henley shirt through the glass next to the classroom door. The fabric of my backpack straps scratches my hands as I lift it to put it on, and after three years of needing to worry about damaging my hands, I now barely even notice.

I head towards the door, following behind the last group of students also leaving class, but one of them accidentally kicks the door stopper and it starts swinging shut as I walk through. A muscular arm quickly darts out to stop it, holding it open for me as I meet my favorite smirk.

"Hey Sunshine."

I grin at him, "I thought Gray's schedule had Tyler meeting me after class?"

We begin walking down the hall, other students clearing out of our way due to West's naturally dominating presence. After so many months of walking the halls with West, I barely notice the way everyone moves out of his way, as if it's routine.

West puts his hands in his jean pockets and shrugs, subtly watching my reaction.

"He texted me asking if I could instead."

I look away from West and give a small nod, furrowing my brow.

Tyler said that the kiss wouldn't change our friendship. He said he wouldn't let it. Yet he barely paid me any attention this morning aside from a word here and there and has yet again avoided seeing me. Even at lunch he scarfed down his food in minutes and went to sit with Tina at her table.

West is clearly curious as to why Tyler wasn't shocked this morning when I spoke for, seemingly, the first time to him since freshman year. Not to mention, West has picked up on the obvious fact that Tyler is avoiding me.

West didn't pry or ask any questions, but his glances between me and Tyler allow me to read his thoughts pretty clearly. He knows something happened between us. He's too perceptive not to. I just don't know if that makes telling him about the kiss easier or harder.

The longer I wait to tell him, the more he'll think the kiss held feelings worth hiding. In reality, Tyler's kiss meant nothing to me. I have always and will always only view Tyler as a friend, and it felt weird knowing he's viewed me as another girl he wants, not as the best friend I always assumed I was.

At the time of the kiss, I didn't think that. I thought that Tyler had a random moment of wanting to kiss me, just to see what it may be like, and that he got his feelings confused and we would move past it instantly. But now that he's avoiding me altogether, I realize how deep his feelings go.

Keeping it hidden for now gives me a false sense of hope that Tyler and I can really just remain friends and act like the kiss never happened. That tomorrow he'll be over it and will be back to his normal, cheerful self around me. And, as much as I don't want to admit it, a small part of me longs for things to go back to normal because I can't help but realize that another guy I thought was a good friend turned out to just want to be with me and took matters into their own hands when I never made a move.