Butterflies in the Cemetery

Chapter 1:

Flowers in the Cemetery

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I remember coming here when I was eight. To this small cemetery with the big oaks and lots of little patches of flowers.

I walked with my boyfriend to Aunt Connie's grave, our hands intertwined, each of us holding a purple carnation. Him and I decided it was time for him to "meet" her. Him and I were Juniors at our high school and are finally approaching our four year mark.

He smiled reassuringly at me and I returned the favor.

My stomach churned as I approached her grave. Something just didn't feel right. When we arrived at her headstone, I felt my face flush. "Oh no." I muttered.

Resting right in front of the stone slab was a jar with thirteen butterflies and my name on it.

I stared at it and the world began to spin. Slowly at first. Then faster. And faster still. Until I felt myself disappear into a black vortex. My only thought was that the Butterfly Killer was here. And he knew me.

*********

I woke later in Uncle Jake's house. Christy lent over the couch her pretty black hair getting in her face. She was Uncle Jake's girlfriend and a cop.

"Hey Katy- Ann," she said.

"Hey Chris," I muttered sitting up. Then, I remembered. My eyes became the size of saucers and I felt my face flush for the second time today. "H- he knows me, Chris. I'm next. Oh God. Oh God. This can't be happening. No, no, no."

Chris looked at me, worried. "Who, Kay? Who knows you? What are you next for?"

I took a deep breath and let out a mouthful. "I went to Aunt Connie's grave but when I got there, there was a mason jar with my name on it and thirteen butterflies in it. I'm next, Chris. What do I do?"

She sat down on the couch. "Crap. I didn't want to tell you this but I have to tell you now." she sighed, obviously displeased. "You see, the 'Butterfly Killer', as he is better known as, studies his victims. He makes sure to memorize what they do, in what order, and at what time. If he knew you were going to the cemetery today then he already knows your habits. That, in turn, means he's been watching you for quite some time.

"If this is true then we don't have much time. What I need you to know is that you are his first female victim so I don't know what will happen. I'm sorry."

I began to sob again as it sunk in. I'm defenseless. I'm the first girl victim. I'm next. Oh God.

"And one more bit of bad news. Your dad didn't die in an accident. He was victim six." I looked at her stunned and she nodded her head. "If you want more, ask Nana Jane. She knows what he does almost as we'll if not better than I do. She's become obsessed."

I stood up and grabbed my keys. "I'm going to go over there now. See you later, Chris."

"Bye Kay. Be careful out there," she muttered as the door clicked close.

********

I arrived at Nana Jane's house at about six. Great. She'll still be up.

I walked up the driveway and gently tapped on the door. Slowly she creaked open the door with a warm smile.

"Hey Nana Jane. Sorry if this is a bad time," I smiled sweetly.

She looked stunned. "No such thing as a bad time when it comes to you, Honey." She opened the door and I stepped inside the house. "So what's going on, baby girl?"

And here we go...

"So I was wondering if you could tell me as much as you know about the Butterfly Killer and when Dad died because there's reason to believe that I'm going to be his next victim."

She looked at me for a minute and slowly sat back into her rocker. "Umm... To begin, your father, Richy, was very kind and gentle but his demise was not. This 'Butterfly Killer' was not particularly merciful on his victims. He would hold them hostage for about a week then brutally torture them, cutting off their left ring finger, taking out their eyes, and draw butterflies on them with their own blood." I looked at her, pale with disbelief. "Next, he chains them up in a large park with a jar of butterflies. From there, some say he watches as the police cut the bodies of his victims from the tree."

"Oh god..." I muttered quietly. "Well, I'm gonna go home now. I love you. Have a good night. Bye."

I shut the door and scrambled into the car. After a minute, I pulled out of her driveway and headed home.