Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"Oh, what the fuck?" Calum mumbled, sitting on the couch. I ran up the stairs and went into my room. I put my hands in my hair and screamed; what was I supposed to do? I don't think that he needed to ignore me for almost seven months because he fucking loved me. I was frustrated and angry, how could he do this to me? I didn't know if I felt the same about him and even if I did, he ignored me for several months. Why should I suddenly feel all lovey-dovey for him? It's not going to happen. "Kaylin?" Luke whispered. I turned around and he was sitting on my bed. "What do you want?" I felt angry tears forming in my eyes. "I'm really sorry for ignoring you. The night before I left, someone told me you and Calum were seeing each other. I thought that it was true and so I decided maybe I could get back at you. I've been a dick and I'm sorry." He said. "Fuck you, Luke. I loved you. I really fucking loved you. I don't know what to tell you now, because I don't feel that way anymore. And, so what if Calum and I were dating. We're not but if we were it wouldn't be any of you business. You exited your way out of my life and if that's how you want it, then fine. Don't sit here and talk to me and tell me these things now that we are face to face. You're ungrateful, you know that? I was there for you your whole fucking life. Where were you seven fucking months ago? Where were you yesterday? Where were you last week? Where were you when I was crying because I missed you so damn much?" I snapped at him. He didn't look at me, and picked the quilt on my bed.

"I'm sorry…" He trailed off. I laughed. "You're kidding right? You've been absent from my life this whole time and all you can say is sorry?" He looked up at me. "What else can I say?" I started crying, I couldn't handle this right now. I cried almost every day for three months because of him, and of course I would never tell him that. But, it still hurt. Talking to him this way hurt. It hurt so damn much. I sank into the floor and put my head in my hands. "You did this to me, you fucking asshole! The moment you decided that you weren't gonna talk to me, you broke me. You were my very best friend and I needed you. You didn't need me that entire time?" I couldn't look up at him, I just couldn't. "I did but I had the other boys and so did you…" I stood up. "You're fucking joking. You have got to be kidding me right now. Goddammit, Luke! You have been my best friend since primary! I met them in a year or two after you, and I just met Ashton like three years ago. They're my friends but you were supposed to be here for me always. That's what best friends do, did you forget that? I had a crush on you throughout secondary school but I stood by you through all your girlfriends and I sure the hell was there for you when they broke up with you. I was there to rekindle the pieces to your stupid fucking broken heart. Do you remember all of that?" He was crying and I was crying, it was really bad. This is what our friendship has become? "Kaylin… Why didn't you tell me you liked me back then? I liked you too, and I do remember you helping me through the heartbreak but you caused me heartbreak too. You and Calum have always been close so it's wouldn't be a surprise if you guys had gotten together. You can't be mad at me for getting upset with that." I was shocked. Was he serious?

"I can be mad at you for being upset! You don't own me, you don't get to tell me that i can't be mad at you. And, I caused YOU heartbreak? Oh, I'm so sorry for making friends with a boy who just so happens to be good looking! That's not my fault, Luke. I didn't give fucking birth to him, did I? I didn't make him that way. But, at least I didn't fucking ignore you because you were my best friend and I would never do anything like that to you! But, the feelings weren't mutual, were they? You don't give a shit about my feelings at all. You never did, you only care about yourself! I'm not going to stop talking to Calum because you're jealous of him. That's not my problem, it's yours. Calum has been there for me a lot more than you have and maybe I should have realized that before." He was crying harder. "I didn't mean it like that, Kaylin. I'm sorry! I don't want you to not be friends with Calum! I wish that I never had ignored you, I'm really sorry. You're my best friend, please forgive me." I laughed. "But, you're not MY best friend anymore! You changed that after I texted you time and time again and you didn't respond. Or when I would call you, crying, hoping and praying that you might actually pick up. Or when I would get all dressed up and ready to have one of our old face time dates but you wouldn't pick up. You changed that the moment you decided that I wasn't worth caring for. Maybe, just maybe, if you had texted me back and told me anything that you're saying right now, maybe I would've forgiven you. But, no, you didn't, did you? God, Luke, you're so stupid! You're so stupid!" I said breaking into tears all over again. 

"I know that I hurt you but you have to understand that I just wasn't prepared to be heartbroken, and it's a lot easier to ignore you then it is to ignore Calum." I stood up and smirked. "Wow," I started laughing and rubbing my forehead. "wow. Fuck you, Luke. Fuck you." I stood by the door and turned back to him. "Thank you for making this all about you and your feelings. And, yeah, I suppose it would be easier to ignore me, since you actually care about Calum. You never really cared about me, right? I mean, it's easier to ignore someone you don't think that much of. Calum's harder to ignore because you knew that you would have to see him every day, right? And you decided that since I was thousands of miles away it would be a lot easier to ignore me, right? Yeah, well fuck you too, Luke. God, I cared about you so fucking much. I would curve my schedule around your times, only to be rejected. I didn't know what I did wrong! I blamed myself for everything! I didn't do anything wrong, Luke. It was all you." He got up from the bed and started walking towards me. "I love you." He said, reaching for my arm but I pulled away. "Oh, go fuck yourself." I snapped and slammed the door. I saw Calum in the hallway. "What do you want?" I barked at him. He didn't say anything to me, he just walked over and gave me a hug. "I'm so sorry." He whispered. I started crying into his shoulder. I didn't think about the fact that he was eavesdropping, I thought about how much he cared about me. Luke came out from my room and grunted. "Are you serious?" I broke away from Calum and wiped my tears. "Luke, just leave me alone." I pushed past him to get into my room but he stopped me. "Stop running away from me!" He was still crying too. "You shouldn't have ran away from me, either. But, you did. Just leave me alone. I might forgive you, Luke but just know that you and I will never be as close as we were before. And it's all your fucking fault. Go ahead, sleep downstairs with the other boys. Go ahead and sleep on the couch, where we used to sleep when we were younger. Go right ahead, act like none of this happened. I will, but just know that every time you talk to me from this day forward I will be reminding myself about this night and all those months. You have no idea how all of that affected me. I mean, ask Calum, he knows. Michael knows. Ashton knows. I guess they didn't tell you because they didn't want you to know about it. But, guess what? I'll never forget about this. Ever."

Luke blinked back tears. I did forgive him, I did, but it doesn't mean that he's my best friend and it certainly doesn't mean he gets to just slide back into my life. I was still mad and upset; he broke my heart and he made me cry several times. A lot more times than a best friend should. I meant every word I had said to him, he knew that. Calum knew that, we all knew that. "Thank you." He said after awhile and went downstairs. Calum looked at me and started downstairs. "No… Please, Calum… I need you." Calum came over to me and kissed my forehead. "I'm all yours." Even though Calum and I were not together, I loved him a lot. That night, we cuddled and I cried myself to sleep as he held me. It was purely friendly, nothing more. When I woke up, I had forgotten that we had fallen asleep together. "Good morning, Kaylin." I smiled at him. My eyes were still sore from crying and my cheeks were raw but it felt really good to smile. It was really nice to wake up next to him and have him waiting for me to wake up. He gave me a hug and grabbed my hand. "Let's go eat, okay?" I nodded and we left the room. Downstairs, we could hear that the boys were up. Michael and Ashton were playing on my Xbox and Luke was on the couch. 

"Where were you last night?" Ashton asked Calum. "I was with Kaylin, I just comforted her, nothing more." I nodded, sitting on the couch. "So, are we all friends now?" Michael asked. I looked at Luke and he couldn't even look back at me. "I don't really know, I'll try. But, it might not work out considering that he can't even look at me anymore." Luke looked at me. "I'm sorry, I'm just… I'm trying." His voice wavered. I looked away from him before I started crying again. I was mad at him before but now it just hurt. I got sad every time I thought about what we were and what we are now. "Yeah, well, so am I." I felt bad for the other boys because they were in the middle of mine and Luke's huge fight. They were his friends and they were mine. I didn't really know what to say or do around him because I felt so much pain every time I looked at him. "Guys, maybe we should go out tonight!" Ashton suggested. "Yeah, that's a good idea, lighten up this whole… situation." Michael agreed. "Nice choice of words." I laughed and he gave me a thumbs up. "So, where will we be going?" Calum asked. "We should go to the beach and go night swimming!" It sounded like a pretty decent idea to me. "I'm in if you guys are." I said. "I'm in." Calum chimed in. "Same." Michael chuckled. "I am obviously." We all waited for Luke. "I'll go, whatever." Michael cheered. "Yes!" I laughed and laid down on Calum's lap. I needed to take a nap. Even though I just woke up.