Helping Clients Thrive and Communities Prosper

RBC is proud to have been a founding partner in NACO's inception back in 2002

RBC is proud to have been a founding partner in NACO's inception back in 2002. Since that time, the critical role Angels play in the development, mentoring and funding of Canada's next great innovators has only grown in its importance. So too has the significance of NACO's role in ensuring our community of Angels has the tools, resources and connectivity required to bring great ideas into reality and help promising entrepreneurs reach their full potential. NACO has also been a powerful voice in advocating the merits of innovative programs and the needs of our Angel community at all levels of government.

As part of RBC's guiding purpose of helping clients thrive and communities prosper, we are proud to support the development of this Guide to Angel Investing. Our hope is that through the information and guidance contained in this document, those who are interested in acting as Angels can make an informed choice and benefit from best practices. The knowledge-based sectors of the economy have long been a focal point for Angel investment. For over 30 years, RBC has supported this sector through teams who specialize in assisting companies exhibiting high growth potential and the need to invest in research and development.

It takes capital to be an investor, but being an Angel requires so much more. The impact of an Angel investment goes far beyond the typical economic measures tracked by governments and organizations. How does one measure the impact of mentorship? Of being the first group outside of friends and family to say "I believe in the vision"? Supporting entrepreneurs and often passing on lessons learned after successful careers in business is invaluable. These are just some of the qualities that separate Angels from investors. We recognize all the tremendous work NACO and its partners have devoted to this important community over the years and look forward to the continued evolution of Angel investing in Canada.

– Ann Bowman, Head, Canadian Private Banking

– David Rozin, National Director, ClientStrategy, Knowledge Based Industries