Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

Subject: Raeth Arteres

Date: March 11, 2185

Species: Neumarian

Status: Undetermined

Condition: Leg infection

Treatment: Denied

The world is a swirl of brown, silver, and white. I reach up and run my hand down something smooth. My vision slides into focus and I see that it is the Princess’s cheek. Why doesn’t she slap my hand away? No purple and black bruises show under her eyes, nor is there a bandage covering her cheek. “W-what happened? You have no b-bruises.”

“An advantage of being a princess. My mother doesn’t want anyone to see a flaw on me. They healed my face and bones in the infirmary last night.” The princess’s lips curl into a pretty smile and her eyebrows rise in unison. “Wait—that’s it. I can sneak some supplies from the medic’s office. I can treat your infection.”

“N-no. I’d rather die.”

“Don’t say that.”

The stench of my leg fills the room with a mixture of bitter alcohol, oil, and rotted vegetables. I know it’s bad. A Neumarian is not meant to be made of metal.

Princess Semara presses a cool rag to my forehead. “You are the first person I’ve been able to talk to since my father died and my mother brought me to the ship. Raeth, you must confess. You’ll get treatment.”

“I’ll d-die anyway.”

She doesn’t react, but I see in her hollow eyes that she knows I speak the truth. I may only be twelve, but I lived through the war. Queen Mandessa Valderak does not show mercy.

“It’s better this w-way.” I take a deep breath and try to allow the words to flow. “I’ll be at p-peace with my Ma and P-pa.”

“What about your brother?”

“He’s d-dead. I heard you t-talking.”

“No. I just said that to protect you.”

My heart flutters at the news. It fuels my desire—if he lives, all the more reason for me to protect my gift. “He w-wouldn’t want me to betray m-my people.” I choke on the words because I know what I must do. “Semara, I-I have to d-die. I c-can’t hold on any longer. If I c-crack they could use me as an excuse to execute all m-my people.”

My muscles contract in my core and I fight against my gift. It wants to surface and free me from this prison, but the metal traps it inside. Good. The monstrous contraption attached to my body will keep me from betraying my people.

Part of me barely remembers my home and friends. Ryder’s face is blurred in my memory. The neuro-alterer has changed how I perceive him. Now I’m not sure which image is real.

I close my eyes and fight the tears as my finger traces the hard edge of my new leg. The soft pus-filled vessels ache as my hand brushes them. This is no way to live.

“Please, Raeth, don’t give up.”

The clock ticks away and I know the time for my next interrogation grows near. If it is severe enough, it could be my last. That comforts me. An end to the turmoil and the images in my mind left from the first session.

“Your parents—tell me about them. What were they like?”

“Ma was b-beautiful. Pa said her full l-lips and soft b-blue eyes could melt a man’s heart.” Flashes of a past life filter in through the static in my brain. A gentle touch, caring words, a loving smile all make my heart long to be home in their arms. “Semara, can you b-bring me something?”