Chapter Five

Subject: Raeth Arteres
Date: March 12, 2185
Species: Neumarian

Condition: Deceased
Order: Disintegrate
Method: Engine Room

"Guards! The Queen summons you." Semara's voice floats on the surface of the oily air.

"Go. I dispose of waste." The cryptic man draws closer and little hands touch my arm. I picture a child with a man's voice.

"We were ordered to dispose of this parasite."

My body whirls in the air and the little hand rakes across my skin and vanishes. "It not fit. Cut pieces so not clog our ship."

Semara's dress shoes click closer, only a faint tap over the sound of the engines. "The Queen is in a foul mood. I'd move quickly. Something about a breach of security."

The arms stop for a moment, then they are gone. Air rushes up my back. My stomach lurches upward until I smack against the hard floor and my insides join me once more.

"Fine. Dispose of it quickly." The guard's voice grows distant with the sound of his booted feet.

The door swishes closed behind their exit. My eyes flutter, but remain sealed tight. Heat still blankets the right side of my body. A squeal echoes in the engine room and the heat subsides. Muscles in my cheeks spasm with strain until I finally force my lids open.

Two sets of small, gentle hands touch each arm. The princess and a little pug-faced man with rosy cheeks and a rusty beard fuss over me.

Semara stiffens and glares at him. "You need to go back to work."

"I friend, no worry, bring gifts when your mother show fury. I wait in air vents, wishing to do more, but can't."

Semara's eyes widen and her eyebrows stitch together in the middle. "You are the one who brings ice for my bruises when I'm punished, and leaves candy on my pillow?"

The man's small brown eyes light up with obvious pleasure and I have a warm feeling he is kind, unlike the others on this airship. "Yes, yes, I Bendar, friend. Now help little one, before guards come back."

Muscles on the side of my mouth twitch and I speak, but only a mumble escapes my numbed lips.

Semara gives me her warmest smile. "Don't worry, Raeth. We'll help you."

Bendar leans over my legs to grasp both ankles, tickling my one real shin with his coarse beard. They struggle and nearly drop me twice, but they manage to lift me back onto the gurney. Semara surprises me with her strength.

Massive cylindrical tubes jut up from floor to ceiling. Orange light glows from a nearby iron door and the black cloud that swirled inside me begins to churn again. The flames roar inside and I feel a connection to it. But how?

"Be calm or your gift fry us. Then no need for all this fuss."

"M-my g-gift? You know w-what it is?" Part of me longs to know what monster lurks inside me, but warning bells clang in my head and my brother's voice echoes: No telling those Slags about your gift, or they'll be using it against us.

"I not sure, but fire go berserk when take power from it."

My mind reels, but I still can't grasp what kind of gift, or curse, I possess. The gurney is wheeled to the other side of the bay where it is quieter. The numbness recedes down my body. As the drug retreats, my leg burns and throbs. I graze the wound with my fingertips. Pain shoots up my thigh and I stifle a cry.

Semara looks down and her nose scrunches from the stench. It's bad, but at least dying of infection is better than being burned alive. No antibiotics or medicines will work now. Bendar's lips droop and I know he realizes my fate, too.

"Bendar, you need to keep her hidden. I'll go get medicine from the infirmary and we can heal her."

Bendar pats her hand and moisture builds in his eyes. Semara snatches her hand away and begins to leave, but I grab her arm.

"I-it's too late. P-please just stay with me. I don't mind d-dying, I p-prefer it to living here."

A lump moves up and down Semara's throat and tears fall from her eyes. I realize now that she isn't a plant, but a friend. A child lost after the Great War, just like me.

"Can I do anything?" Semara chokes out. "Or get you anything?"

My throat is so dry now that I can barely talk above a whisper. "No. I wish I c-could get off this ship before I d-die, see my home one last time, but s-since I can't, I just w-want to be with you, my friend."

Semara's shoulders slump and she falls over me, hugging me close. "I should've saved you."

Now tears fill my own eyes for the loss of my parents, my home, my life, and now the parting of a friend. "There was n-nothing you could do."

A speaker crackles in the corner. "All personnel, report to your stations. We will be leaving for Acadia East momentarily."

"So I will d-die in Slag territory, far away from my home. At least my p-people will be safe." I find comfort in my sacrifice, but selfishly wish my family could know I'd managed to keep their secret.

"Must stay, and I know how." Bendar hobbles over to a control panel and flips a few switches before waddling back. "We go quick."

Semara straightens and swipes her tears with her elegant white glove, now covered in black and red makeup. "What can we do?" Sorrow fills her eyes and I know she'll miss me.

The speaker crackles again. "Why are we stalled?"

"Too much time in Wasteland, must blow out sand. Clear vents or we late."

"Make it quick. Sending guards down to help." The speaker cuts out.

A rage of hot fear surges through my already feverish body. "F-forget it, just hide m-me or put me in the—in—" The word won't roll off my tongue.

They shush me and Bendar waves his hands over me. "Semara, you go, can't be discovered here."

"No, I won't. You need my help."

The engine whines and my belly feels light again, so I know we are descending. A horrible pain twists my gut and I hope it will bring death quickly. I clutch my hands to my chest and moan, but bite my lip to quiet my begging for a quick death.

Both of them stand over me with sorrowful eyes. "What are we going to do when the doors open?"

The ship shakes and wavers back and forth before it plants its landing gear firmly in the desert sand. The engine room doors slide open and guards' voices shout from behind.

"Raeth, play dead. Or we all incinerated." Bendar signals Semara to grab my shoulders and they manage to pull me to the ground.

"What are we going to do?" Semara whispers, although there is no need.

"We roll her into sand."

"No, no. I won't leave her—"

"Why is that parasite still here?" The guard's voice sends shivers through my arms and legs and I fight not to shake. I brace myself.

"Better leave her for scavengers than body raise engine heat. Mechanical error not please Queen."

"Just hurry up. We need to be in the air. Don't want to be food for the scavengers of the Wasteland ourselves. Come on, roll her body out the bay door."

Semara's fingers grasp my hand by my side, and I squeeze it to let her know it's okay.

"Move." A boot is planted in my side and the world twirls about. I bounce halfway down before the pain radiates through my ribs. Grainy sand fills my mouth before I come to a final stop. There isn't a place on my body that doesn't burn, ache, or shoot with pain, but I don't care. I'm off that ship. Away from any chance of them discovering the truth.

"Hey, what's that?" the guard yells.

I can't help but open my eyes. My body stiffens. My town is only a few meters away and my brother is charging toward us.