Chapter 3

Here you are beautifuls :')

********

I opened my eyes, blinking a few times, and gazed out of my window at the blue sky and bright sun. I turned my head to face my clock to see that it was nearing noon.

I sighed as I hoisted myself up into a sitting position with my legs hanging off the bed. I paused to let the dizziness wash over me and then stood up to go to the bathroom.

After I had brushed my teeth and washed my flushed face, I returned to my cluttered room and began to collect the dirty clothes that were covering my carpeted floor.

As I moved backwards, bent over to pick up some trousers, I bumped into my bedside table and a piece of paper floated to the ground.

I picked it up and scanned my eyes over the message in my Mother’s neat handwriting.

Rochelle,

I understand that you are probably not feeling well and that is why I turned off your alarm this morning to allow you to sleep. I have called the school and they aren’t expecting you to come in today. Try and eat something and drink lots of water, it will help you get better. I will be home around 7, so help yourself to dinner, as usual, OK? If you need me, ring me.

Love, Mom

Not feeling any different after reading the letter, as I wasn’t planning on going to school anyway, I scrunched it up and dropped it into my small bin. I moved to the side of my bed and gripped the edge of my duvet, lifting it so that it floated down onto the sheets.

Hearing a clunk, I went round to the other side of my bed and picked up my phone that must have still been on my bed when I made it, causing it to fall to the floor.

I saw the small blue light flashing at the bottom of my screen and clicked the green button to allow me to unlock it. Sliding my finger across, the bright screen alerted me that I had 1 new message from an unknown number.

Panic erupted in my chest and I felt like my heart was about to explode. I sat down on the edge of my bed, my legs morphing into jelly, with my phone still in my hand, the unopened message daring me to open it.

My eyes were beginning to blur and my hands shook. I dropped my phone to the floor, almost throwing it, wanting it nowhere near me.

I ran to the corner of my room and hunched myself into a ball, my arms wrapped securely around my legs. My body was quivering as if it was freezing cold and my breath was coming in short spouts, making my oxygen supply limited, and my vision to go fuzzy.

I didn’t know what was happening to me. All I did know is that I was scared.

I peeled my eyes open, testing the light before opening them fully. I was still on the floor, my arms wrapped around my legs, but I was shaking less now. The room was darker than before, but not completely black.

My chest hurt, like I had been punched, winded, and my face felt wet, I assumed from tears.

I raised myself to my feet and took a second to balance on my unreliable legs. Looking down to the floor to where my phone’s black screen stared back, my heartbeat sped up until I was almost certain I was going to pass out again.

Steadying myself against my bedroom door, I closed my eyes and took a few breaths. I could feel myself calming down, my heartbeat slowing to its normal rate.

My stomach rumbled loudly, telling me I was hungry. I pushed myself off of where I was leaning and opened the large wooden door of my wardrobe. Selecting a pair of grey tracksuit bottoms and a loose white t-shirt, I removed all of my clothes, put on clean underwear, and dressed myself slowly.