Chapter 2

At the X-Men mansion Storm, who had taken the role of the doctor, was finishing the last few stitches on Megan's shoulder. She still hadn't regained consciousness, and it had Logan worried.

"Is she going to be okay?" Logan asked, concerned.

"The bullet went straight through her shoulder without hitting the bone or anything vital. She'll be fine, but it will hurt for a few days." Storm answered, her eyes locked onto Megan's shoulder as she finished the last stitch.

The door of the lab opened as Professor Xavier came in. A look of concern etched across his face as he approached the bed and he looked up to Storm, who was sanitising the surgical tools she had used.

"How is she?" he asked.

"As I just said, she is okay. She is still unconscious, but the bullet didn't cause any severe damage," Storm replied, a hand on her hip as she recounted the information for the second time

"Good. Logan, can I have a few words with you outside?" The Professor asked, glancing at the open door from which he had just come through.

Logan nodded and the two men headed outside.

Logan crossed his arms and glanced into the room, keeping an eye on Megan.

"Tell me, what happened?"

"To be honest, I don't know. I was there when three men attacked her," Logan explained, his eyes trained on the petite woman's body.

"Did they say anything? What they wanted from her?" The Professor urged, glancing behind him to see what Logan was staring at so intently.

"No, nothing!" Logan snapped. "Actually... Yes. One of them said something about, her not getting away this time, but that's all I heard. I'm sorry I brought her here, but this is the only place she would be safe." he confessed.

Logan knew, bringing her back to the mansion without The Professor's approval could cause problems. They knew nothing about this woman and those people could track her down, putting all of them in danger.

"You did the right thing. I now have to make sure it is safe for us to let her stay here. If it's not, we must find another solution. Thank you, Logan." The Professor said, turning his wheelchair to face the room.

The Professor's priority was always the safety of his students' who lived in the mansion, but he was nearly as dedicated to helping anybody in need.

"Good, if you need anything I will be at the gym," Logan mumbled, taking a last look inside the lab before heading towards the gym, a couple of meters further down the hall.

The Professor went back inside the lab, approaching Megan who lay deathly still atop the bed. He stopped at the top of it putting his hands on each side of Megan's head.

"Is everything okay, Professor?" Storm asked.

"I want to make sure she is not a threat to us before she wakes up," he explained, closing his eyes. He read along her mind, searching for memories that would either condemn or save her.

A few minutes into the process Megan regained consciousness. She opened her eyes to come face to face with a man she had never seen before and she panicked. Terrified, she jumped off the surgical bed and grabbed a scalpel from the medical tray.

"Who the hell are you? What am I doing here?" she screamed, pointing the scalpel at the two unknown people in front of her as eyes darting around the room. She felt a stabbing pain in her shoulder, but the adrenaline running through her veins kept her going.