Ominous Discussions

"Welcome to Moria," Bidor said with a sweeping gesture as they entered the dwarven stronghold.

The inside of the dwarven home was bustling with activity. The dwarves had just rebuilt the bridge across the chasm and made it wider than ever so that carts could cross. Great lamps and mirrors lit the hall and dwarven miners could be heard all the way down in the depths.

The newcomers stood, mouths agape. If they had thought Aglarond was impressive, then this was miraculous. Everything was just huge.

"We will take the postern gate," Bidor decided with a smile as he saw their expressions. "That is a quicker way to where Lord Durin has set up his throne."

"Mother went that way through Moria!" Fëalas said with excitement to her sister as Círeth and Elboron helped her off their horse and onto the ground.

"Leave your horses here at the entrance," Bidor told them. "You will have to walk awhile."

Fëalas tried to put a bit of pressure on her leg but it just wasn't happening. Elboron smirked and lifted her up.

"I told you not to pity me," glared Fëalas.

Elboron rolled his eyes. "We need to keep moving. And you can't walk."

With a huff, she relented. Her lithe form was easy to carry. As they followed Bidor, Fëalas was entranced by the surroundings. The look of innocent wonder despite her predicament was inspiring to Elboron. She was always so cheerful.

Many dwarves stopped and stared at the half elves and humans as they walked around the postern door which had been expanded to make for easier access.

"Just down through here," Bidor explained.

He led them through several barracks and armory rooms where armor and weapons were being stored. At the end of a long hallway he turned left.

"Lord Durin," bowed Bidor as they entered a small throne room. "I bring you guests with a letter from Lord Gimli of Aglarond!"

The company looked at the dwarf lord. He was young, his reddish brown beard still small. His eyes sparkled with mirth and he smiled upon their entry.

"Welcome, dwarf-friends!" He walked forward and nodded to them. "Who is here to see Durin of Moria?"

"I am Prince Eldarion, son of King Elessar of the Reunited Kingdom." He bowed low to Durin. "Here at my side also is Prince Elfwine of Rohan and his sister Edeva, Lords Elboron and Barahir and their sister Finduilas, children of Prince Faramir, and finally Lord Aderthon and his sisters Fëalas and Círeth, childen of Prince Elrohir."

"Royal guests indeed," Durin said in awe. "Welcome, my Lords!"

"At your service," bowed Eldarion once more.

"And mine at yours," the Lord replied. "Now come, it seems to me that one of your companions is injured. Bring her with you and I will guide you to our healers."

Fëalas thanked him from where she was still in Elboron's arms. Much to her chagrin, she couldn't walk on her own yet. As she tried, her leg would give out.

"So tell me, Prince Eldarion, what brings you to Khazad-dûm?" asked Durin. "What can we do for you?"

"We are on our way North," explained the prince. "We wish for safe passage through the mines."

"Khazad-dûm is much safer than in days past," Durin agreed, "but to call it safe would be a great exaggeration. And you have an injured comrade."

"Yes, that complicates matters," he agreed. "But we cannot leave my cousin behind. And we must get North."

They reached the healing halls and Elboron laid Fëalas down on a bed. A healer rushed over and began looking over the half-elf. Durin turned to Eldarion.

"You may leave someone to stay with her if you wish. But I believe we should talk in private." Durin sighed. "There is much to decide."

Eldarion agreed. "I will take Aderthon and Elboron with me. The rest of you can remain here. Help the healers with Fëalas."

They didn't like it, but all agreed. Aderthon and Elboron followed Lord Durin and Eldarion away down several halls and into a side room with a table and several chairs. They sat down and Durin sighed.

"I will of course agree to let you pass through," he said. "That is not the issue. I do, however, require some information if you can give it."

"Name it, Lord. If it is in my power, I will give it to you." Eldarion nodded quickly.

Durin began. "As my scout Bidor probably told you, a Ranger from the North passed through here a month ago. Why? What was so urgent that he came, injured, to the South? Why are a group of royal children heading North?"

Eldarion leaned back in his chair. It was small for him, as he was tall because of his elven ancestry and these were built for dwarves.

"Nearly three months ago, my father received a message from the North. My cousin, Aderthon's youngest sister, had gone missing after an attack on the northern Dunédain." He trailed off, the lamp on the wall becoming more fascinating every second.

"We have been sent to find her," Aderthon continued. "We need to find my sister and put an end to the orc attacks on the rangers. We are to investigate what is behind these attacks."

Durin nodded slowly. "I see. A missing royal and darkness growing in the North. That explains a few things."

Elboron hesitated before asking a question. "Lord, do you have any idea of what the messenger had to say? Did he speak to you at all?"

"When I spoke with him, he would only give vague answers. He spoke of a traitor, and of a darkness growing. He spoke of death for the Rangers. Something about Angmar," Durin replied, "and twin blades in the night."

Aderthon's face paled. He went deathly white and Durin stopped speaking. His voice dropped to a whisper.

"Evidently this means something to you."

Aderthon stood and paced. Eldarion looked startled as well. But Elboron looked confused. Evidently they knew something he did not.

"We know nothing for certain," Eldarion assured Lord Durin. "Only conjecture and assumptions right now. It is something we do not wish to speak of at the moment."

Durin nodded. "Very well, Lord. Keep your secrets."

Eldarion frowned. "Lord Durin, a more pressing matter pertains to our passage through Moria."

"Indeed! You do not know the way, nor should you go alone," Durin agreed. "I will provide you with a guide. As for your horses, there is little we can do. Horses cannot cross Moria yet."

"We know." Eldarion nodded. "We will set them loose before we leave."

"There are dwarven outposts all the way from here to the Western Gate," Lord Durin told them. "You should not run into too much trouble as long as you do not stray too deep."

Durin got up and opened the door, beckoning for them to follow. The trio went after him and they returned to the healing halls. When they got there, they found Fëalas fast asleep and the others whispering quietly on the floor.

"You may sleep here tonight," Durin told them. "There are plenty of beds. I will see to you in the morning before we send you off."

"Thank you, Lord," Eldarion bowed. "We are in your debt."