Chapter 9 General Andersen

Dana stood in front of General Andersen’s door, trying to pull her best business face. She had got up early, making sure she had time to go vent some steam on the training grounds, swim and have a long hot shower, before the appointment. She couldn’t afford to loose her temper, there was too much at stake. She had then stopped by her office to gather the “Aranish army” folder, giving a professional rather than personal purpose to the meeting. The General wouldn’t be pleased with her requesting to see him at short notice for her own benefit, and the last thing she needed was to get him in a bad mood.

 She forced herself to take three slow breaths before knocking at the wooden panel.

“Come in!”

The voice was loud, deep and annoyed.

Dana entered the large room, closing the door behind her. General Andersen was standing behind his desk, glaring down at some papers on it. He was an impressive man, tall and bulky, with white blonde hair and clear blue eyes in a square face. His physical appearance and icy personality had earned him the nickname of “The Viking”.

Dana stood silently, waiting for him to notice her, which eventually happened after a few minutes.

“Commander Sand, have a seat! What did you want to see me for?”

She cringed. The man could really use an emergency drip of social skills!

Placing the folder on his desk, she started:

“Sir, I wanted your guidance on this.”

She quickly summarized the “Prince Elian” situation before asking:

“Do you think he could be a threat for us? Our informers are not high enough in any Court to access the content of the meetings, or agreements he had with the rulers, and the secret has been remarkably well kept. However they reported rumours of increased defiance and hostility against us after his departure, while Lieutenant Sonia Wells described having a similar feeling in Occitania. Arania also never requested our services, which is very unusual. The whole intel could point toward a plot against us, but again I have no certainty. And he is getting closer.”

The General frowned. Opening the folder, he rummaged through the pages, checking the clues, looking angrier by the minute:

“How comes no other analyst has flagged this?”

She shrugged:

“I don’t know Sir. Maybe I’m the one being paranoid. But I’d rather be safe than sorry. What if he is coming for us and we are not prepared?”

“Well, I will make sure we are! I’ll also bring up the matter with the Council, they might have some extra insight on this. In the meantime, I want you to keep tabs on him and report anything suspicious directly to me, right? And I will ask the others to transfer whatever they come across on the subject to you. Do not disappoint me Commander!”

“Yes Sir!”

“Anything else?”

Dana swallowed and braced herself. Now was the delicate part.

“Well, while I’m here, may I just ask a personal question?”

The General seemed to tense up and averted his gaze. His voice sounded strangely uneasy:

“Fire away Commander. As long as you don’t plan to ask me out…”

Dana stared at him in shock. Did he just say something humorous? It was so unheard of, she felt like pinching herself.

“Nothing of the sort Sir. I was just wondering when I can start on a definitive contract, seeing that my application is in?”

He shifted uncomfortably, still not making eye contact. Dana couldn’t believe it. The man was embarrassed! This could not be good.