Chapter 4

Ayla on the side>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Chapter 4

There was something peaceful about praying as the residents of the world slept away. Something deep and spiritual cleansing your insides, a feeling so great that washed over your body- soothing your soul and wounds that were embedded too deep to even feel.

I was not the perfect Muslim. I tried my best and I knew there was a lot of room for improvement. The only place where I truly felt free, where the sorrows of the world were left behind and where I found my peace was prostrating to my Lord.

I allowed my fingers to run against the jet black tassels of my soft velvet prayer mat, the threads lacing along my fingers before falling into a straight line as they fell back onto the ground.

I sighed as I could feel the morning light slowly awaken and scatter into the room. The glass panel opposite my bed overlooked a beautiful sunrise, surrounded by large trees and the fading city skyline of endless tall buildings. The sun was rising shyly, blanketed by streaks of blue and pink ribbons in the sky.

It was time for me to get out of bed, shower, dress, study and grab some coffee before heading off to work. Yes, all in that specific order too.

Soon I was dressed and fed and had rigorously been over the procedure of a craniotomy at least 10 times. I fumbled with my keys and bag and notebook all in one hand as I rushed into the hospital and to the locker room. Shoving my coat and belongings into my locker, I grabbed a pair of new scrubs from the scrub machine.

"Whoa tiger, maybe taking your face out of the book will help you see that you're shoving your foot into your shirt."

I looked up at Marya who was snickering at me. My eyes wandered down to my left hand which truly had been trying to wrestle a shirt onto my legs. I felt my face redden as a few other Drs turned to see the commotion, a grin or smirk appearing on their face at my failures.

"Way to be discreet Marya," I sent here a glare whilst quickly putting on my scrubs over my black shirt and tights. It was always cold in the hospital, I preferred under clothing to keep me warm.

"Ayla you know the procedure like the back of your hand! Stop stressing, it's not like they're going to make you perform the surgery all by yourself. You're only observing," I sent Marya another glare as she bit into an apple with force.

"Thanks Marya! Thanks for explaining my level of skill set. I want to be extra prepared for any questions that are  thrown my way and if for any chance all surgeons and staff except me drop dead to the floor- I may need to perform the sugary all by myself."

Marya chucked and I couldn't help grin with her. She was right, I was only observing at the neurosurgery today but I wanted to be fully prepared.

"I don't understand, if you're so obsessed with surgery why didn't you choose that as your specialty?" Marya was right, I was completely obsessed but I also enjoyed working with children and paediatric surgery was very difficult and I wasn't completely ready to transition yet anyway. But I always could in the future.

"I don't know just let me revise in peace! I've heard Dr Wheeler is a right headache, he picks on the juniors and has this terrible glare on his face all the time," Marya shuddered, she had been on call with the neurosurgeon last week and she had said he had not spoken a word of comfort during their shift. He was barking orders and refused to let her take a coffee drink with her fiancé even on her break.

"Farhan finds him amusing you know?" She scoffed and narrowed her eyes at the name of her fiancé- who was a cardiologist at the same hospital as us.

"I can't believe you're getting married in a few weeks!" I felt my eyes water. My best friend, my day one sister was getting married. It was rather shocking, Marya hated men. Like detested them.