15|| Pink and Purple

Chapter Fifteen

Pink and purple

Christine gazed at the pink ceiling of her room and wiped her tears away. The worry was killing her. Sam said it was an easy mission, that he'd be back soon. And now, after two weeks, she hadn't heard from him. Where was he? What did he have to do? And why couldn't she get out of bed?

Her eyes filled with tears every time she pictured him looking as shabby as he had after the explosion.  Maybe he was hurt, alone, scared. She tore her eyes from the ceiling as though the dreadful images inside her mind were projected on it, and looked around her room.

Ever since she could remember, it had been decorated fit for a princess. Everything was in shades of pink, purple and orange, her favorite colors. Even if she'd outgrown them long ago, the room was still filled with pillows, stuffed toys and ribbons.

She had always been her father's favorite because she reminded him of her mother. And just for that, she'd gotten this beautiful room and her father's love.

Finally, with inhuman effort, Christine pushed herself off the bed and settled in front of her heart-shaped vanity. She looked in the mirror, brushed one eyebrow and pouted her lips. Even with puffy eyes, she still looked beautiful. She'd always been a pretty crier.

She'd always laughed at Tina who was nowhere near as beautiful, saying she was more beautiful when she cried than her sister when she smiled. All her life, she'd been the most beautiful person in a room, wherever she went.

Christine looked in the mirror thoughtfully. An honest voice at the back of her mind told her it was over. Because even if they weren't perfect like she was, Kay, Angie and Jessie were gorgeous. She'd be completely unrealistic to deny them their dues.

Angie was far from perfect, but it was her little defects that made her stunning: her round bottom, high waistline, slightly upturned nose and even the small gap between her front teeth. All the defects Christine had noticed at once came together with her green eyes and wavy black hair and got lost in beauty. A little like how familiar cracks made you love an object more.

But Kay was truly frightening. Christine had never seen another girl glow the way she did. Tall and slender, shaped like an hourglass and with the face of an angel, when she and Kyle were together, she shone like the sun.

Jessie, on the other hand, was perfectly proportioned and toned, obviously one who loved to work out. And that orange hair of hers made her stand out in any crowd.

Christine groaned. So far, she'd never had to do anything to look as beautiful as she did, just apply minimal makeup. Now, she'd probably have to start working out. The simple idea of sweat made her skin crawl.

The thought made her laugh. While in the jungle, she'd been sweaty all the time and she hadn't minded. It had all been so exciting. Her budding relationship, the adventure, watching Sam grow and become a delicious hero. And the enormous show that were Tina and Jerry.

Christine had no idea if they were actually together, but the thought of Tina getting a crush was hilarious in the first place. For a fleeting moment, she wondered how Tina must feel, the average looking one between four gorgeous girls.

And her mind once again drifted towards Sam, and she missed him even more than before. Her eyes filled with tears again and she wiped them away feeling angry with herself. Sam was the only boy she'd ever shed tears for, and she didn't like feeling weak.

"What's the matter?" Tina asked from the threshold.

Christine jumped and let out a hiccup. Gritting her teeth, she turned to her sister. "Still not coming in?"