04|| Magnet Town

Chapter four

Magnet Town

Kyle and Jerry said nothing on the way to the airport and Sam was both annoyed and grateful. He could feel Jerry was aching to tell him off and he felt pretty embarrassed that his brothers had to see that. Most of all he was angry with himself for his stupid shyness. He'd never brought himself to kiss Christine properly, even if she'd given him multiple chances. He kinda felt like it was too soon. It wasn't. He was a moron.

He looked to Kyle, but his brother only raised his eyebrows and drove on. Sam was relieved when they reached the airport and finally got on the plane. He wasn't a big fan of awkward silence and maybe they'd talk about the mission.

"What is it with you and Christine?" Kyle asked all of a sudden, making Sam jump. "That must've been the most embarrassing kiss in the history—"

"Now, Kyle, it's none of our business," Jerry said. "Though I do think you should've just walked away."

"Can we not talk about this, please?" Sam said, shifting in his seat, which was unfortunately right between Kyle and Jerry.

"Why do you think he should've walked away?" Kyle asked, pretending Sam wasn't there.

"They're young, they barely know each other..." Jerry started.

"God, Jerry, what is this? The eighteenth century? What, are you scared no one will want to marry Christine if Sam kisses her properly?"

"Oh, so you're suggesting Sam should just go around swapping saliva with anyone in his path?"

Sam frowned. "Wait, what? Christine's my girlfriend, Jerry."

"Of course not," Kyle said. "But it wouldn't hurt if he got some practice."

"Guys..."

"He doesn't need practice."

"By the looks of things, he does, and a lot of it."

"Knock it off!" Sam yelled. A few of the passengers stared at him. "This is all very awkward without you dissecting my relationship and my kissing."

Kyle narrowed his eyes. "You've never kissed a girl properly, have you?"

"Of course not!" Jerry piped in.

"Stop talking as if I'm not here. And how do you know, Jerry?" Sam snapped. Of course, Jerry was right, put his presumptuousness was annoying either way.

"So you have?" Kyle asked, his eyebrows threatening to disappear into his hair.

Ground, swallow me now! Except they were up in the air. "No. I never liked anyone enough before Christine. Can we drop this now, please? It's embarrassing enough as it is." Sam gave both his brothers the stink eye, and they finally got it.

And just as the plane reached cruising altitude, Sam realized he'd forgotten to call Billy. He groaned and closed his eyes, trying to empty his mind and relax. His eyes stung and he was tired. What with the mission jitters and worrying about Christine, he hadn't slept well the previous night. As he breathed deeply, the image of a desert appeared in front of his eyes.

He frowned. They weren't there yet, and he actually had no idea if there was any desert there. Yet, there he was, his boots stuck in the dust. Storm clouds gathered above him and lightning flashed. Then darkness. Another flash and he could see himself in the distance. Only that this time, he knew it was Tom. Darkness again and then light. Tom appeared closer, Snitch Gravel right behind him.