Chapter Nineteen

The rain pounded against the loft roof. Rain drops that resembled tears, drizzled down the big windows.

After Derek found Scott- technically dead, by the way- he took him to Deaton's. He also told me to go home and wait for him. As usual, I went to argue. But for once, I actually shut my mouth and obliged. I realized that if I did go, then I'd have to see him almost dead. As much as I wanted to go with Derek for support, my wolf told me otherwise. That's a true shocker.

Scott's not dead, I reminded myself, if he was dead then Derek wouldn't bother taking him to the vet clinic. There's no way he's dead, he's Scott. Nothing like this can happen to him- not my rock.

So here I sit, on the couch in the loft, tapping my foot against the floor with anticipation. Isaac is here, but upstairs in Peter's - correction - his room. I still can't get used to that. He's upstairs mauling things over. I'm not in the mood for consoling or kind words, so I'm intent on waiting here until Derek gets back.

My head whips up in the direction of the loft window at the sound of a stick breaking. In the pure darkness, the one thing I hate most stands. It's face rotted with slashes and cuts, it's body frail and bone-thin. It's eye sockets chill my skin.

Immediately, my fighting senses take over. I rise from my place, claws growing to their sharpness, teeth following behind. The heat builds up inside of me, making my cheeks hot with rage.

The Siren stood relentlessly, almost without a purpose. I froze and took a closer look. It didn't seem angry or want to pick a fight, but almost...afraid. I sensed it too.
I squeezed my eyes shut, then I opened them and it was gone. Why would it come and leave again? What if it was...following orders?

What if the Sirens had a 'leader' that takes the shots, ordering them to come after me? If its true, then everything is different. What if I'm killing Sirens that aren't actually causing any harm?

I shook my head, and scattered the thoughts around like grains of Mountain Ash. I inhaled and exhaled deeply, my bones relaxed and turned to mush. I closed my eyes and reminded myself that everything would turn out fine. Everything.

I shot up from my seat once again when I heard the door knob turn, Derek pushed through looking exhausted and disappointed. He huffed and closed the door tightly. The anxiety increased more and more, the longer I had to wait for the news.

I fiddled with my fingers. "How's Scott?" I couldn't stop the concern from flowing out of my mouth.

Derek straightened his shoulders and his eyes settled on mine. I could see the worry dancing in his own.

"I found him just on time. Deaton worked his magic and now Scott's resting at home." 

A shower of relief rained over me; I didn't realize how amazing it felt to hear good news for once.

"Can I go see him?" I asked, hoping for a yes. In a time like this, I think I have a right to see Scott.

Derek shook his head carefully,"He needs sleep, not visitors."

I frowned disappointedly and shuffled my foot against the wooden boards beneath me. I raised my eyebrows when Derek continued,"But, I know that I can't stop you."

I tipped my head up and watched the small grin spread with his lips. For once, Derek didn't hold me back- he was actually letting me go somewhere without an argument...Whoa.

I smirked. "Of course you can't stop me."

Derek rolled his eyes with a quiet chuckle as he walked towards the basement stairs. "Just go, you brat."