Chapter Thirteen

Derek's arms remained crossed to keep his body heat in.

Isaac walked forward with a hopeful expression,"What is it?"

Derek looked at the ground, then back up,"Well I don't know exactly what it is, but I saw it at the school and it paralyzed me from the neck down, I was stuck floating in eight feet of water with Stiles for four hours!"

"How did it paralyze you?" I curiously asked, now folding my arms. Derek looked like he was going to start foaming at the mouth in anger,"I'll tell you after, just let me shower first." He was keeping his cool.

I nodded eagerly,"Fine, just hurry up."

Derek jogged up the steps, still shaking to himself. When he was up the steps fully and I heard the door close, I started to think about how Isaac just pulled his hand away so quickly. It was right when Derek came in too. I don't know why he had that sudden change of heart, but it spiked up my curiosity. Investigation commence.

I didn't bother talking to Isaac again, I just sat down in a chair and started to text Scott and Stiles. In the corner of my eye, I could see Isaac looking out the huge window covered in rain streaks. I sensed the boy questioning himself, I remained quiet while almost giving him the cold shoulder.

After a few minutes, Derek came back down in clean clothes. He wasn't shaking anymore and his hair was part-way dry. Derek took his place beside the table, leaning against it with his arms crossed again. Isaac and myself had turned to look at him.

"So this thing, what does it do?" I asked, standing up as well. Derek kept his stare on the ground,"The liquid you saw on its claws the other night is a toxin that paralyzes it's victims. It slits the back of your neck and you're stuck for a while." He looked back up,"The thing is extremely fast and I don't know how to stop it." I took a glance back at Isaac and he stood with the same poor-posture and intent listening expression. I know that he wants to figure everything out about it, he just won't say it. I feel the vengeance building in him. I feel the same way about the Sirens.

"Is it a shifter like us?" Isaac asked, speaking up from behind me. Derek shrugged,"I don't know yet. But it's possible."

"If it is, then do you know who it is?" I wondered, tapping my thumb against my chin. Derek gave me a solid look,"I have an idea." He still sounded like he is uncertain, but he wouldn't ever admit it.

"Who?"

A corner of his lips turned up slightly,"Jackson or Lydia."

My mouth opened slightly as I gave him an 'are you serious?!' look. "What's your evidence, Derek? How did you even come up with the idea?" Derek crossed his legs and propped himself up against the table,"Jackson never shifted and his body was fighting the bite." That's a good point.

"And Lydia?"

"Have you forgotten all of the weird things happening to her? That makes her a suspect." Derek rightfully said, without question, backing up his accusation efficiently.

"Touché." I mumbled, thinking of some sort of disagreement, but nothing came to mind. If Derek thinks that one of them is the lizard thing then how will he know?

I stood up straighter and put my hands in my pockets,"And how exactly are you going to figure out who it is?" My voice was skeptical.

"Easy. A snake can't be poisoned by it's own venom." Derek's tone was extremely mischievous and dark. I don't know what he means by that, but it can't be good.

Derek stood up and nudged his head at Isaac,"Tell Erica that we're paying Jackson a visit tomorrow night. Make sure that she's here."

Isaac nodded at the command and walked off like a lost puppy obeying its orders. I stayed in my place and watched with skeptics. Derek noticed and looked at me,"If you want to help train them, then I expect you to be there."