Chapter 67

Ian groaned as he sat on one of the logs. Both tents had been erected, the entrances facing away from each other. They were huge, large enough to fit at least five people in one. "I'm so freaking hungry."

"If you're this hungry," Michael began as he pulled a fishing rod from his bag, "why didn't you just eat breakfast before you got here?"

"Dre said that we would've been late if I did. But it looks like the only thing I would've missed was putting up the tents. And where the hell is Megumi? It shouldn't take her this long to get her girl."

"They're probably waiting on Kamatsu," Dre said as he brought down Michael's axe on a log. "I still can't believe we're letting that a-hole join us. Did everyone forget what he tried to do to us?" He split another log. "He could've got us killed, and we're just going to forget about it like that?"

"That was what we were placed in the forest for," Rose said as she picked up the split logs to place them around the circlet of logs used for their seats. "We were told that in order to awaken our power was to come close to death. If anything, Kamatsu and his group helped us obtain our powers sooner."

"And he did say he was sorry, too," Keiko chimed in, sitting with her legs crossed as she scribbled in a notebook.

"Yeah, but-"

Another car engine roared towards them. A black Chevy Corvette skidded to a halt besides Ian's Grand Am, chiptune music blaring. After a moment, Megumi, Kamatsu, and Katherine each got out of the car. Dre felt a twinge of anger once he saw Kamatsu. "Sorry we're late people," Megumi stretched. "We had to have a little talk about relationships. Did we miss anything?"

"Besides missing all of the hard work getting the tents up, no," Ian said.

"Looks like we've got perfect timing, then," Katherine said. "Oh, my name is Katherine. This is my brother, Kamatsu." She gestured to Kamatsu.

The group introduced themselves, save Dre, who was glaring at Kamatsu. "What?"

"You've got a lot of nerve forcing yourself to come with us," Dre stated.

"Oh? And who would've stopped me? You?" Katherine elbowed her brother hard in his ribs. Glaring at her, Kamatsu sighed. "Fine then. I didn't come to pick a fight with you, Basura. I came to say something to you. You held yourself better than I thought you would when we were in the simulation." Dre looked astonished at Kamatsu's compliment. Just what was he playing at?

Crossing his arms over his chest, Kamatsu continued. "Still, you're nowhere near my level."

"Sounds like you're trying to challenge me." Dre placed the axe beside the stump he was using to chop the logs. "Don't worry, Kimmy," he said to Kim's worried expression, "this isn't going to be anything serious. Just a little sparring match."

"Guys, we aren't here to fight," Michael said, fishing pole and bucket at hand. "We're here to get to know one another."

"Don't worry, Michael," Kamatsu said. "I'm not going to fight him. Instead, I'm going to give you a word of advice. Loosen up." He grinned as he picked up his bag. "You fight with too much anger. Because of that, your movements are too slow and stiff. You'll need to stay calm and levelheaded if you want to stand a chance. Don't be mad, homie." He made his way to the tents, his silver braid swaying in the air. "This fresh air feels good, don't it?"

"What kind of drugs is he on to be this happy all the time?" Megumi asked Katherine.

"High on life, my future sister-in-law," Kamatsu stated before he unzipped the tent, making Megumi blush.