Chapter 17: Bullet Wounds

"This is your fault!" Zoe yelled. She raised the gun, pointing it at the two agents. There was a loud bang and a yell as she pulled the trigger. Reid pushed Morgan sideways out of the path of the bullet.

"Reid," Morgan yelled. The blond agent collapsed to the floor with a cry of pain.

"Dammit," Zoe swore. "I wasn't aiming for him!" Morgan crossed the floor to where Zoe stood. Before she had time to react he grabbed the gun and twisted it out of her hands. It hit the floor and Morgan kicked it away. Morgan hissed as her nails raked across his face as she struggled to get loose. The door smashed open as she kneed him in the stomach and got her hands free. Zoe was about to make a dive for the gun but Prentiss pointed her gun at the girl.

"FBI, don't move," she ordered.

~

Outside the team of profilers and the police were about to break down the door. The bang of the gun made them freeze for a moment. Hotch and Prentiss were at the front door.

"Go," Hotch ordered the officers holding the battering ram. They swung it at the door and the door smashed open. The agents and police streamed in with shouts of, "FBI" and "Police." Prentiss saw Morgan loose his grip on Zoe and saw her start to move to the gun on the floor.

"FBI, don't move," Prentiss ordered. Zoe froze, anger reddening her face. Prentiss kept the gun on Zoe as the girl got to her knees, putting her hands behind her head. She could see Reid laying on the floor. Morgan was already kneeling beside him, putting a hand on the younger agent's stomach. Hotch handcuffed and read Zoe her rights. Putting her gun away Prentiss crossed over to where the body of Tyler lay still, not moving at all. Blood pooled around the body and, already knowing it was too late, Prentiss knelt and tried to find the faintness trace of a pulse. There was none.

"Prentiss," Morgan said. She came over by him and Reid. He had his hands pushed tight against Reid's abdomen.

"Tyler's dead," she replied to his questioning look. "What happened?"

"Zoe," Morgan said. Reid gave a slight whimper of pain as Morgan pushed down harder. "She shoot him."

"Hotch, call an ambulance," Prentiss said. "Reid's been shot." Hotch glanced away from Zoe to look at the three agents.

 "Hey pretty boy," Morgan said. "Look at me. How you feeling?"

"Like I've been shot," Reid replied. Morgan grinned.

"I don't think I've ever heard you make a sarcastic remark before."

"Looks like it went through his side," Prentiss said softly to Morgan. "Best case it just went through his abdominal muscles."

"Worst case?" Morgan whispered back, pressing a little more firmly on Reid's stomach. The blood was still leaking out between Morgan's fingers. 

"Worst case, it could have hit any number of organs."

"Ambulance is on the way," Hotch said. Zoe was being taken away by Sheriff Jones. 

"I'll fucking kill you for this!" Zoe screeched. "I swear to god I'll-"

"No one cares sweetheart," Jones said. She dragged Zoe out of the cabin and into one of squad cars. The ambulance pulled up as the squad car left.

"Is Tyler?" Reid asked. From his position he couldn't see Tyler's body. 

"Zoe killed him," Morgan said. Reid nodded and glanced away. Zoe had been the one to pull the trigger but Reid was the one who had pushed him into calling the FBI.