Chapter 4: A Clue

While Morgan, and Reid headed to the latest crime scene and Emily and Rossi left to talk with Carrie's roommate; JJ and Hotch arrived at the Hill Lake Local Police Station. The building was small and made of brown bricks with the words Hill Lake Police Department painted on a small gray sign out front. It was not the largest station that Hotch had seen, it was also not the smallest. The buildings perks were that it looked well cared for and there was a small flower bed outside with bright purple and yellow pansies.

When JJ and Hotch walked through the glass double doors, they were greeted almost instantly by a young man with dark blonde hair and brown eyes.

"You must bet the FBI." He said with a smile and an extended hand. "I'm Detective Jonathan Riley."

"Supervisory Special Agent Aaron Hotchner," Hotch said. Riley shook his hand enthusiastically.

"Hi, I'm Agent Jennifer Jareau, I spoke on the phone with Lieutenant Vang," JJ said. She couldn't help but smile at Riley. He reminded her of an overactive puppy. Riley hardly looked older than twenty.

"The Captain said she was gonna go meet your guys at the crime scene," Riley replied. "The back room is all set up for you guys." He lead them through the small police station. "You can see there's not much room. We have even less manpower than we do room,"

Hotch's phone started buzzing from in her pocket. "It's Morgan." He said before answering it.

"Who's Morgan?" Riley asked.

"He's one of the agents that Captain Vang met at the crime scene." JJ said as Morgan and Hotch discussed what Morgan and Reid had found at the crime scene.

Hotch hung up the phone and turned to JJ and Riley. "The UNSUB revisited the crime scene last night and left roses and a note. Morgan and Reid are on their way back with Captain Vang to translate the note."

"UNSUB?" Riley asked.

"Unknown subject," Hotch replied.

"How do they know that the UNSUB revisited the crime scene?" JJ asked.

"There was a big storm last night," Riley said.

"And no damage to either the flowers or the note," Hotch said. "They're going to send the note to Garcia and see if she can translate it, Morgan thinks it was written in French."

"Our technical analyst." JJ said as Riley opened his mouth to ask.

"If the UNSUB is revisiting the sites where he leaves the body," JJ said. "Uniforms should check the other crime scenes and see if there are flowers or trinkets left behind."

"I'll have some guys check it out," Riley said.

"Are Carrie's parents here?" JJ asked as Riley turned to leave.

"Cathleen and Robert Lord." Riley said and pointed to a small office. Inside sat a couple on a small couch in front of the window.

"JJ, ask them if Carrie ever wore makeup or mentioned anything about a date," Hotch said. "Morgan said that Carrie was wearing makeup when she was found, but the witness said she never wore makeup."

"Do you think the UNSUB is viewing these girls as dates?" JJ asked.

"The roses, the note in French, the makeup," Hotch replied. "It's possible.

"Dates?" Riley shuddered. "That's twisted." He walked off to get officers to check the crime scenes.

Morgan and Reid entered the precinct, spotted Hotch and JJ and started making their way over to them.

"Reid, you and JJ go talk with Carrie's parents," Hotch said.

JJ and Reid walked towards the the small office. Both Carrie's parents looked up when the door was opened. Cathleen's blue eyes were red from crying. Robert just looked stunned, his eyes were glazed over and he had a dazed expression. Both parents had a disheveled appearance as though they had not slept and had aged ten years since they had received the news of their daughter's death.

"Hi, I'm Jennifer Jareau, this is Dr. Spencer Reid. We're from the FBI," JJ said. She sat down in a chair across the couch. "You can call me JJ. We'd like to ask you some questions if that's okay?"

"The police already asked us questions," Robert muttered.

"We have some different questions," Reid replied.

"Why didn't you do your job before our daughter was murdered?" Robert snarled. He blinked as tears started forming in his eyes.

"These questions will help us find the man responsible for your daughter's death," JJ replied. She never enjoyed talking with the parents and family members of the victims. They were always sad and desperate and looking for somebody to blame for the deaths of their children.

"Robert, darling." Cathleen sniffed, tears clinging to her lashes. She laid a hand on her husband's arm and faced JJ. "Are you going to be able to catch the monster who did this to our baby?"

"It's what we do," JJ replied. Reid flipped through the case notes on his screen to the crime scene photos.

"Did Carrie follow the same routine every day?" Reid asked.

Cathleen nodded. "She liked having a schedule. Said it helped her feel more stable."

"Did she have any conflicts with anyone recently?" JJ asked. "Anyone from school or work?"

"Conflicts?" Robert asked. "No, she never had problems with anyone. Everybody loved her."

"Any new friends or a boyfriend?" Reid asked. "Had she spoken about anyone new in her life?"

"Carrie had mentioned a new friend," Carried said. She gave a small sad smile. "She loved making new friends."

"Do you remember the friends name?" Reid pushed gently.

"I think her name was Zoe," Carrie said. "I don't really remember."

"Did she say where she was going after the gym?" JJ asked.

"A movie I think," Robert said. His voice cracked slightly.

"Just one more question," Reid said. He showed them a close up picture of Carrie's body on the coroner's table. "Was this something that she would have worn?"

Both Robert and Cathleen turned away from the picture, shaking their heads.

"I don't think so," Cathleen said. Reid turned off the screen and he and JJ stood up.

"Thank you for your time," JJ said. She and Reid exited the room. Hotch and Morgan were putting pictures of the victims and evidence on a board.

"Thank you for your time," she said then pushed the door open and walked to where Hotch was pinning pictures up on the cork board.

"What did they have to say?" Hotch asked as Reid and JJ entered the room.

"Parents said she had lots of friends, no enemies, and everybody loved her," Reid said.

Morgan's phone started buzzing.

"Hey baby girl," he said. He put the phone on speaker and set it on the table. "What cha' got for me?"

"Hey mon cheries." Garcia's bright bubbly tone filled the room. "Nobody popped from the workers at the gym or the people who worked or attended the college."

"What about the note?" Reid asked.

"Le véritable amour ne meurt jamais," Garcia replied. "True love never dies."

"Thanks Garcia," Hotch said.

"Anytime," Garcia replied. There was a click as she hung up.

"We have flowers, fancy makeup, and a note in French," Morgan said. "It sounds like the UNSUB is talking these girls on a date before he kills them."

"A really screwed up date," Vang said. She entered the room, Riley a half step behind her. "Officers sweeped the other crime scenes, no sign that your UNSUB revisited them."

"Gather your officers," Hotch said. "We're ready to give the profile."