chapter fourteen: help our friends

Scott brought out an old radio from his closet with a cassette player on the front. Placing the tape inside it and pressing play, a deep manly voice came through.

"After entering the IP address, you will be connected through a Darknet portal to an untraceable bank. Once logged in, enter your account number to receive wire transfers. The IP address will deactivate with each transfer. You will be assigned a new IP address if you choose to continue down the list. Remember, visual confirmation is always required for payment." My brother stopped the tape.

"You ever made a wire transfer?" My brother asked Scott.

"Never had enough money."

"So you didn't understand a word of that either?" Stiles asked.

"I don't understand any of this. Why would someone use all this money just to kill us?" Scott asked.

"Someone wants you dead, dude. Badly." Stiles said and Scott rapidly started putting the money back in the duffle bag.

"Whoa, whoa, what are you doing?" I asked.

"It's late. We've got the PSATs in the morning." Scott said

"No, I meant the money. $500,000. You know how much money that is?" Stiles asked.

"It's 500,000..."

"It's half a million dollars. Scott. What are you going to do, just slide it under your mattress? " Stiles asked.

"I have to talk to Derek. The money's his." Scott said.

 "You mean his and Peter's." I said.

"What does that mean?" Scott asked.

 "It means maybe we should proceed with caution." Stiles said.

"You don't think we should tell Derek?" Scott said looking between us.

"No. No. (SIGHS) No, of course we have to tell him. I'm just... I'm just saying, some of that money's Peter's, right?" Stiles said.

"Yeah." Scott agreed.

"Right? Peter. Homicidal killer? Remember? You want to give $500,000 to him." Stiles asked.

"So we should give Derek his money back. But not Peter?" Scott asked.

"I didn't say that." Stiles said.

"Stiles, what are you saying?" Scott asked.

"Guys, footsteps," I said and they slid the bag under the bed, standing in front of it.

The door opened to Malia, saturated. "We found Satomi's pack. Derek and I. But they're dead."

"All of them?" I asked.

"All the ones we found."

"Then where's Derek?" Stiles asked.

"That mercenary, Braedon, we found her out there. She got shot, he's taking her to Memorial right now. " Malia said.

After talking over somethings Stiles and I went home sleep, because we had the PSAT's the next morning.

~

Kira, Malia, Scott, Stiles, and I waited on line outside our testing room.

"Where's Lydia?" Kira asked.

"She's took it her freshman year." I said.

"Like this smarty pants." Stiles said pinching my cheeks.

"Does that mean I could have taken it some other time?" Malia asked.

"Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us." Scott tried to calm her.