Mending Hearts

The sound of your voice, spewing curses and demands for me to let you go has now managed to grab hold of the attention of random bystanders. All of them share confused looks and exchange hushed whisphers amongst themselves, debating on if they should step in our not. Many of these faces are familiar, and they figure that we're just up to our usual antics and some even look relived to see us together, haven taken note of our growing distance over the months. However your unsually crude language and expression is enough to make them scratch they're heads on whether the issue at hand might be more serious than they initially believed. It was more like you to sob as I dragged you along to find someway to atone for my mistakes, not have you shouting and protesting as I pulled you down the street against your will. Nonetheless, the unmoving frown was enough to ward them off, as we're children anyway, how much trouble could we be up to?

I can feel your small fist pounding onto my back and prying at my hand but I refuse to let you escape. It's been too long since I've spoken to you, since I've touched you, and if having you fight and stain my name with your fowl words is what it costs to be near you, then It's a price I'll pay.  It's dawned on me that I'm not as strong as I once thought I was. I figured that the distance might help us both heal and perhaps we could move on with our lives. We could let that one bad experience fade into nothing more than a bad dream. Just pretend like it never happened and be happy again. Maybe not with each other..but we could still be happy. 

Of course, that's only what I was thinking. Thoughts, are seemingly pleasant until you see them in action. When I saw you walking side by side with that other boy, it nearly drove me mad! To see you smiling and giggling with someone that wasn't me was bothersome. The admiration in your eyes as you listened to one of his stories, once belonged to me. The playful punches that landed against his side when his joke had gone a little too far was mine. The way your lips curled at the end because of an indirect compliment was the way you smiled with me! You were sharing all of your happiness with this stranger when it's me and you who have history. The only thing you share with me of late is your hate and sadness. I know what I did was wrong, and it's the reason you weren't laughing beside me instead but that didn't give you the liberty to go off and find someone that made you happier..not when I'm still here. Not when I still want to try, when I want to push for something better, for a new start. But your ready to move on and forget me and I just can't accept that. If the only time you'll think of me is when your sad, then be sad forever. So long as I'm on your mind, that'd be fine because your always on mine. 

And that's why I'm dragging you down the street, our feet stepping on top of each other as you attempt to pull in the opposite direction and fail each time then fall into me. 

"Why are you doing this?! Just let me go! I hate you! I hate you! So let me go!"

I pretend not to hear you as my face twist further with both anger and annoyance. Why can't you see that I'm trying my best here to be rational and fix the bad I've done. I mean..my arrival might have been a little unannounced and a tad bit irrational but it was all for you. I must admit though that I'm surprised your "friend" didn't step in to say anything when I swept through and basically kidnapped you. But I suppose a high school kid compared to a middle schooler is scary enough for one to watch helplessly as his friend is dragged away.

Finally, I mange to get you around the corner to a fairly secluded area and free your wrist of it's prison. So much was running through my mind before, I had it all planned out till now. For months I thought of what I might say had I actually managed to get you alone. But now that you were here in the flesh, my mind was blank and at a lost for words. So for a brief moment we sit in watchful silence, taking in the familiar scents and sights of one another. You've started to wear your hair in a way to hide your face. The curls of your dark hair cup your face and make your round features appear softer than usual. I might have thought you looked younger even, had I not seen the bags under your eyes you tried to hide with your curls.