Chapter 8: The Twelve Huntsmen

"The best fighter is never angry." –Lao Tzu 

***

            Elly and the girls rip through the obstacle course with record speed. They're prepared for whatever the island decides to throw at them. Even if that decision is a dozen Lost Boys.

            After lunch, Joro announces that she sees Pan and the Lost Boys at the line from the kitchen window.

            "What are they doing?" Elly asks.

            "Nothing," she replies. "Just standing there with their arms crossed like they're trying to be scary."

            "Definitely Pan," Elly mumbles. "Let's go meet them. Bring your weapons, but don't engage unless they do so first."

            They each grab their weapons and march on to the line to see what Peter is here to demand. Elly doesn't understand what he wants. He kept asking her what she was doing; wasn't it obvious? She was making a group of her own to defend her side of the island if need be. Simple. Does he want her to say that she's planning to infiltrate the Lost Boys' base and murder them?

            The girls stop in front of the boys, the difference in numbers becoming staggeringly apparent. It's twelve to six, not that it would matter in a fight.

            Before anyone can speak, Cyanide comes to Elly's side, complete disbelief painted on her face as she locks eyes with one of the Lost Boys. Felix is staring at her with the same expression of wonder.

            "Felix?" Cyanide's voice is laced with disbelief.

            "Anna," he breathes, his tense stature crumbling.

            "Do you two know each other?" Pan asks with genuine curiosity.

            "We did," Felix mumbles at the same time Cyanide mutters, "Once."

            Elly taps Cyanide on the arm and asks quietly if she's alright. She nods and finally looks away from Felix, going back to her spot next to Sahara. Elly turns to Pan. "What can we do for you, Pan?"

            Peter grins. "I like your team. Very...diverse."

            Elly is already getting impatient. She folds her arms. "Just talk."

            Pan shrugs. "I'm here for what I was here for yesterday. I want to know what you're doing." Elly sighs. "Just tell me. You're keeping it a secret, which means you're up to no good."

            "Peter, you're an idiot." The girls snicker behind her. "I'm doing exactly what you're doing. I've made a group of skilled fighters to defend my side. I mean, I can't say you're skilled, but it's the same concept."

            Devin growls, "Why you insulant little—" Peter snaps at him to shut up before he can finish his remark.

            "We'll show you skill," Felix sneers, taking out his daggers.

            Elly hears Menthol take out her swords and holds a hand up to stop her. "We are not here to fight you. I've told you the information you want. Now leave us alone unless it's actually important."

            Elly turns to go with the girls at her heels. Too late, she hears the whistle of an arrow by her ear followed by a cry of pain by Cyanide. An arrow is lodged in her back; the bleeding is already severe.

            Elly whirls on the Lost Boys, readying her bow and pointing it straight in Peter's face. Devin, the one who shot the arrow, recoils. When she speaks, her voice is huskier and more intimidating than she expects.

            "Do that again. I'll have your head as a souvenir." There's no time for further insult or threats. After restraining Menthol, the girls hurriedly carry Cyanide back to the fort. Using the lift they made for situations like this, they pull her up to the shelter and begin treating the wound immediately. Cyanide is long past consciousness.

            "Will she live?" Sahara asks frantically.

            "Yes," Elly says. The arrow is out and in the burn pile. The wound appears clean, no toxins or poison showing themselves. She's patched up and breathing steadily within the hour. The girls sit around her in the living room until she wakes up. Everyone is shaking with anger. But then again, Peter isn't exactly famous for making a good first impression.

            When Cyanide wakes up, it's nearly nightfall. She claims to be absolutely fine besides the occasional sting from too much movement.

            The girls wait patiently for her to finish her late dinner before attacking her with questions about Felix all at once.

            "Did you know him?"

            "How did you know him?"

            "Did you guys used to date?"

            Cyanide's face falls; the questions stop immediately. "I promise I'll tell you someday, but I can't talk about it right now."

            Elly rubs her shoulder. "Alright. I just can't believe the odds."

            "Me neither," she responds. "It's amazing."

            "Get some sleep, all of you," Elly says. "And let's hope Pan and his cronies understand that this won't go unpunished."

***

            Felix slaps Devin as soon as Elly and her group are out of sight. "Peter said hold your fire! What made you think that was okay?"

            Devin holds his red cheek. "They posed a threat."

            "One girl taking out her weapons is not a threat!" Felix exclaims. "You didn't even shoot the one who pulled them out!"

            Peter shakes his head. "If it happens again without my command, you're a goner."

            Devin nods. "I'm sorry."

            "Damn right." Peter shoos everyone else away but Felix. "Care to explain?"

            "There's nothing to talk about," he says moodily before stalking away to the beach.