Chapter Twenty-Eight

Lolly's Pov

   I sighed in annoyance and rubbed my aching head. We were only into the third day of our trip and already I was annoyed with Shion. Sure I like my... master... however she was annoying at times.
   I watched as she was her loud boisterous self as I walked close to Shikamaru. He was watching Shion as well with a less than enthused look. I wasn't stupid, I knew that Shikamaru purposely left Shion out and Shion came along anyways just to spite him.
   However this wasn't my problem and until it was I wasn't going to get in between those two. I loved both of them to death but I'm not getting in between them. 
   "So brat, how are you feeling?" Shion asked as she came over to me. I shrugged, "I've been better, thanks for asking you crusty old hag." I replied quiet enough for only her to hear. She burst out laughing and then abruptly stopped as she looked at the treeline. Her eyebrows were furrowed and immediately I went on guard.
   All of the others noticed our change in behavior and then went on guard as well. I looked around for where they were going to attack next. Usually I would let them attack me first but we weren't in the Land of Fire anymore and I was out of my element.
   In a split second I heard the snapping of a tree branch and then hurled my kunai knife toward where the sound was. I heard a yell and then shot off toward where it came from. I had no idea if it was an enemy or not but I was going to find out.
   I shot through the brush and then came face to face with a scared kid pinned to a tree. "Who are you?" I asked him. The kid had huge glasses that hid his brown eyes. He had orange hair and was shaking at the knees.
   I unpinned him from the tree and by that time all of the others came over. "Who's this brat?" Shion asked. I shrugged and then turned back to the kid who was crying slightly, "I'm sorry, are you alright?" I asked. He nodded and then I handed him a scrap of cloth to wipe his eyes.
   "H-Hige..." He suddenly hiccupped. I looked at him, "Huh?" I asked.

"M-mm-my name is Hige." 

"That's a great name. My name is Lolly."

   The boy, Hige, nodded and then Shikamaru and the others looked at him more closely. That seemed to scare him a bit since he latched onto my waist and wouldn't let go. "Uh... Hige. Can you let go?" I asked awkwardly. Hige shook his head and held on tighter.
   I sighed and then picked him up as I stood up. "Where's your village?" I asked him. Hige hiccupped a little and then pointed in the direction that we were traveling. "Well, since we're going that way to I guess you can tag along." I said to him.
   Hige wiped his eyes and then looked at me before smiling slightly. "Ok." He said and then squirmed a little for me to put him down. I did and then he grabbed onto my hand. Beside me Shikamaru looked annoyed but then I took his hand and smiled at him. Sometimes he really needed to lighten up.

   "There it is! That's my village!" Hige called out excitedly as he tugged on my arm to try and make me go faster. I stumbled tiredly but followed none the less. Hige soon became a very annoying and very hyper kid once he stopped crying.
   Shikamaru had gotten annoyed so he soon dropped to the back of the group while Kakashi took up front with me. He watched amused as Hige pulled me along to the top of the hill.
   As soon as we got there my mouth fell open. The place was huge and on a barge! "Wow... this place is..." I said at a loss for words. "Yea, this is home." Hige said. Instantly I looked at how it was several miles from the coast line on both sides and then I looked down at how scrawny Hige was. Something didn't make sense. This kid shouldn't be in this condition if he had gotten out of his village alone.
   Immediately Kakashi snatched me back and where I had been a huge hole was. "Wh-what?" I stuttered in surprise. Hige frowned at us, "That's not how it was to go. You were supposed to die so that Lord Soren could take the Crysalist from you." He said.
   Hige took out a knife and started to go after me but suddenly he stopped and I saw that it was because of Shikamaru's shadows. I looked to him in thanks and then turned back to Hige. I wanted some answers from him. "Why are you working for Soren?" I asked him.
   Hige just glared at me and said nothing. Oh that was not going to fly with me so I put a hand on his shoulder and made some crystal begin to creep around his body. He screamed and I smirked, "If you don't tell me I'll turn you into a crystal statue. You won't even die from suffocation or hunger but you'll live forever encased in my crystal. Now if you don't want that... Start talking." I spat the last part out.
   "Ok! Ok! Soren protected me when I was about to die and then took me in. As a result I had no choice but to do what he said nowpleasegetthesecrystalsoffofme!" He explained. I looked at him but then the crystals broke off of him and disappeared. "Fine. Go and if you tell him that you've seen us I promise I'll come back and turn you into a statue. Now get!" I snarled.
   Shikamaru released his shadows and Hige got to his feet and then took off. I watched him and then looked to Kakashi, "I think that we need to get a move on. I don't trust him in the least. I've never heard of this place and this is the Land of Waterfalls so should a place like this exist here?" I asked him.