Chapter: 15-16

Chapter 15

The sound of a pan clattering on a worktop surface interrupted Cheryl’s little moment and she yawned, putting the rose on the bed and leaning forward to grab her dress which she had spotted was lying on the foot of the bed.

After pulling the dress on, she picked the rose back up and made her way downstairs, in the direction of the noise.

“Afternoon, sexy” was Kimberley’s greeting, as Cheryl walked sleepily into the kitchen.  

Cheryl grinned.  “I saw my reflection on the way down – I do not look sexy”.

“I beg to differ” Kimberley argued back playfully, raising a suggestive eyebrow.  “I see you didn’t stab yourself on the rose then – I wasn’t gonna leave it there in case you rolled over and poked yourself in the eye or something”.   

Cheryl laughed, “but you left it there anyway?” and she walked over to Kimberley, wrapping her arms around her neck and kissing her cheek.   “It’s beautiful, thank you”.

Kimberley smiled, wrapping her hands round Cheryl’s waist.  “Well I was going to give it to you over dinner, but that kind of didn’t work out like I’d planned”.

“Oh I think it worked out just fine,” joked Cheryl pulling away from their embrace and winking at Kimberley.

“Oh it was better than fine” laughed Kimberley, leaning in and kissing Cheryl tenderly on the lips, and feeling the younger girl smile as they kissed.

“What are you doing?” asked Cheryl, pulling away and observing the pan on the stove.

“Making pasta,” replied Kimberley, squeezing Cheryl’s arm and moving over to the stove to stir the spoon.  “We didn’t end up eating anything and I woke up starving.  Thankfully, only the lamb was in the oven when it nearly went on fire, so I used the vegetables to make a sauce.  I was going to come and wake you but I should have guessed you’d follow the smell”.

 “God, I am starving now you mention food,” said Cheryl, following Kimberley to the stove and wrapping her arms round her waist.  “We worked up an appetite”.

Kimberley leaned back into Cheryl and laughed, “we sure did.  Do us a favour, babe – put some plates out, this is done”.

“Oooh good,” said Cheryl, kissing Kimberley on the neck and moving to set the table.

------------------

“So Nadine texted before – that’s what woke me and made me realise how hungry I was”, started Kimberley, sitting herself down opposite Cheryl.

“Oh yeah, she still coming on Saturday?” asked Cheryl, tucking into her pasta.

“She didn’t say but I don’t see why she wouldn’t”, replied Kimberley, serving some grated cheese onto her plate.  “She asked if everything was ok after our lunch”.

“Oh god, you didn’t tell her what we actually had for lunch, did you?” laughed Cheryl, looking up at Kimberley.

“Haha, I don’t think even our closest friends need to hear that!” giggled Kimberley, starting to eat.  “She asked if we’d sorted everything out”.

“Bless her, she was so good the other day when she came for lunch at the studios”, said Cheryl, remembering how calm and helpful Nadine had been.

“Yeah, she replied to my text saying she’d just read about a gay couple in Ireland having two kids – with a little help from a doctor, of course”, Kimberley put her fork down and looked at Cheryl.