Chapter 3

I hit my flashlight. "Turn on, turn on, turn on!" I whisper-shout. It doesn't cut on. I start to run, no matter how tired I am, I am getting back to camp unharmed. After three minutes of running, I set foot on camp. I sigh in releif.

NEXT DAY:

I wake up in the tent, but Kate isn't there. I get dressed and head outside. The sun is bright, and the only way to stay cool is to stay in the shade. Which is in the itchy oak trees. Tall oak trees. Mr. Jones, Mrs. Jones' husband is also a chaperone, smiles when I join the group. "Everyone quiet down!" He says. They continue their having their conversation, spreading their rumors, and other remain kissing. "Everyone listen up!!" Coach Johnson, the last chaperone, yells. Coach Johnson is a tall man. He has a beard, that isn't so long, brown short-cut hair, and he's caucasian. Everyone shuts up. Coach Johnson is a coach who would make you do 50 laps around the field field if you don't listen. Kate appears next to me, and Shy on the other side. "Partner up, we're going on a hike." Coach says. "Hey Jack, wanna be my-" Shy is cutt of by Kate. "Jack, wanna be my partner?" Kate asks. "Sure! What were you gonna say, Shy?" I ask. "N-nothing." She replies. Instead of me, Shy partner's with Jaison. I turn to Kate, who seems completely awake and normal.

Coach Johnson and Mrs. Jones lead th group. They talk and talk, they seem inseparable. I turn to Mr. Jones, he seems jealous. I try to start a conversation with Kate, but se is too busy studying the trees or something. Maybe she does remember our encounter with the Slender Man. (which is what I've named him)I also try to bring it up. "So, about yesterday-" She cuts me off with, " I wonder where we're heading."

Coach stops and turns around. "We're here." He annouces. "It is 3:10. You have until 8:00 to roam around. Stay in groups to ensure you don't get lost, and stay in touch." Serena walks over to me and Kate. "Hey, Kate, so me and Nixie thought we should totally hang out today!" She look at me, rolls her eyes, and turns to Kate again. "Sure, if Jack can come." She says and smiles. Nixie and Serena talk for a moment. "Sure, if Eddie can come." Serena fakes an innocent smile. Kate's jaw tightens. "Of course he can come."