Frozen Treats

Jack wasn't oblivious to the fact that what he was currently doing was against everything he existed for, but what he was oblivious to was why he was doing it at all. With a dreadful expression and a stomach full of stone, the ever renowned Father Frost stood meekly in front of the entrance to his rival's dwelling.  

  "What the heck..." Jack groaned, bringing a hand up to grip at his bangs nervously. It had been about two weeks since his last incident with the Nightmare King and, even if he'd never tell anyone, he just couldn't get the other man off his mind. No matter what he did, where he went, or who he was with, Pitch somehow manage to wriggle his way into his thoughts. 

   Jack was there when Pitch had risen above the Guardians and he was there when the shade had re-lost everything. He saw Jamie walk through him, saw the honest fear, confusion, and despair portrayed on his pale face when he'd realized that all of his hard work was for naught. Jack knew that feeling like he knew his own heartbeat; none of the Guardians understood it like he did. Hundreds of years in solitude. Hundreds of years longing for answer--for change--but nothing ever came. He couldn't even imagine losing it all after he's tasted what it's liked to be seen, and Pitch had lost it twice over from what he knew.

Pitch once said that he understood him and now, it seems, that Jack understands him in ways that no one else ever could. He honestly wanted to help the man for that reason, even if just a little, but it was also in part of him just being himself. Somewhere deep inside him, he knew, there was a brown headed boy who just wanted to help everyone who needed it--be them his frightened little sister, or a sorrowful looking boogeyman--and that's exactly what he planned to do.

  Putting his selfless thoughts to actions, however, proved to be easier said than done.

  How on Earth was he, Jack Frost, going to help the man he's sworn enemies to? Not only was there the danger of being caught by the other Guardians at any given time, but the matter of how to go about it was also an issue. Not to mention, Jack was probably the Guardian that Pitch hated most right now...

  But that's what brought him here, staring down into the gaping passageway with a pair of popsicles in hand. He looked down at the frozen treats that were still wrapped in their white plastic packaging--the flavours of each unknown to him--and sighed. It suddenly occurred to him just how stupid this plan really was. At the time, when Jack hadn't the slightest clue what to try, when he'd finally thought of using his centre and just being himself to cheer up Pitch, he'd thought it was an amazing idea, but now being here face-to-face with the actuality of the situation, he felt more like a colossal idiot rather than a caring genius. He stared at the hole in the earth, debating whether or not he really wanted to go inside.

  Well, I mean, I shouldn't just barge in...? What if he gets mad at me if I do that? And he might not even be home! Oh no, wait, that's really not good if he isn't...out causing trouble...

  With an irritated groan, Jack ran his hand through his hair one more time before making a decision and clearing his throat.

  "Umm, hello?" He called down toward the hole but no one answered. Putting the popsicles in his hoodie pocket where it was nice and cold, Jack bent down onto the ground to rest on his knees. Grabbing either side of the opening, he stuck his head in slightly.

  "Hellooooo?" Jack called playfully, extending the length of the word in a comical way. "Anybody home?" A loud crash sounded from within the hollow tomb as if something had fallen. Jack froze for a moment, his mouth suddenly feeling dry.

  What if that was Pitch?

  "Hello?" He tried again but his throat clenched around the word, leaving it quiet and breathy. Swallowing heavily, Jack hurriedly picked himself up and, before he knew what he was doing, jumped in after the sound. The place seemed brighter than before, almost as if the shadows were thinning from a lack of source,  but the place did seem to be back to normal rather than just an empty chamber. Jack assumed, even though he could tell that it wasn't what it was when Pitch was at full power, that he was at least regaining some strength. Somewhere deep down that fact scared him, but he was mostly relieved that he hadn't inadvertently helped the Guardians kill the Boogeyman.