Loophole

In a small back-country town in Tennessee

September 21st, 2011

Outside the station, on the streets, across from Long Avery Avenue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ava’s head hung down in shame as the demon laughed at him. The intern only watched as Ava numbly walked forward and put his hand over the demon’s hand over her throat. “No,” he said softly. “Please…Just let her go.”

Her brown eyes were both furious he was giving up and full of pity as she watched his spirit break behind his olive eyes. He just looked so broken and defeated. His hand gripped tighter on the demon’s as he repeated, “No, please, just let her go.” He forced his head up, a tremendous effort seen as he met the face that had tortured him for years.

Golden eyes were mocking, “What have you to offer for her life, Ava Nathaniel Windsor?” Ava’s eyes looked nearly misty with unshed tears as he whispered, “One more game…one more year under our bond,” he bit out the rest, “Under you demon.”

The intern was thrown to the ground as the demon opened his arms for Ava to walk into. She watched as the poor boy’s green eyes finally broke their own dams and split all the tears he had tried to hold back. She saw the tears trail silently down his dirty, tanned face.

“Ah Ava,” the demon boasted, “You have forgotten but a trifling detail love.” Ava’s face was all but proudly displaying the brokenness of his spirit. “And what is that, demon?”

The demon’s face finally lost its smile to be painted with anger. “You know my name, Ava,” he growled and the intern saw Ava tremble slightly. “Say it right!”

Ava’s fists clenched at his sides.“No, I will not break down further.” The demon’s rage intensified as the boy continued. “You have me for one more game, now let her go.”

“No,” the demon ground out as his golden eyes tuned to black slits. Ava glared, tears marring his anger as the intern backed up silently forgotten. The demon saw her and then pushed Ava aside in rage. “You little wench!”

Before the intern could even voice a scream, a pole smacked her upside the head and sent her careening towards an abandoned house on Fawn Swift Street.

Ava blinked as the dust cleared and he saw the intern inside the house, her battered but living body sprawled out at the foot of the wooden stairs. The demon blinked then howled in rage as Ava cheered and started to run towards the intern slowly coming back around.

“You won,” Ava cheered. “You’re the first to ever win the game! you made it to the safe house before he could!” His olive eyes were tearing again, but this time in joy as he said, “I’m finally free!”

The intern started to smile but her face fell as she whimpered and started to tremble in fear. Ava frowned, then noticed the shadow over his form and then understood.

“Yes, you are,” they heard the demon say. “You and the girl are free.” Ava didn’t dare to turn around as he heard the demon continue.

“However, Ava dearest,” Ava felt a sob choke him. “You don’t have a soul to utilize that freedom won.” Ava fell to his knees. Even after this, he thought, the girl, this girl had finally won. I'm still stuck.

But because of his stupid mistake, he couldn’t be free.

“You, Ava Nathaniel Windsor,” the demon smirked as his hands took firm grip on Ava’s shoulders and a dark shadow settled over the room, “are still mine by right of the game.”

Ava looked at the girl sadly, his eyes pleading with her to try and save him. She was struggling to even lift her head but nonetheless before Ava and the demon faded into the black, he cried out: “I forfeit! I, Tess Fleur Darcy, forfeit my soul and freedom for Ava Nathaniel Windsor’s!”

Ava’s olive eyes widened in shock as the intern saw him fade back into existence and the demon growl as it saw the girl had found a loophole in the game’s contract. She had won but she still had her soul. She could barter hers for Ava’s to save him from servitude.

She could save him like he should have been saved all those years ago…

However Ava’s eyes were furious and teary as he watched the beaten doll of his image be thrown at his feet as the demon hefted the intern over his shoulder. The demon cast Ava a longing look, almost appearing sad, “Good bye Ava.”

The young boy only had time to cry out, “Tess, no!” as she gave him one last smile as she managed a small wave with her bloodied arm. “’Bye…Ava…Be good for me…”

TESS, NO!” He cried, reaching out.

She was gone before their fingertips could ever meet.