Chapter Thirty-Five

Chapter Thirty-Five

Emma stepped out into the early morning air and wrapped her shawl tighter around herself. The months were passing quickly and November was upon them—and it had brought winter chills with it.

She felt the babe stir within her and smiled. Life was peaceful. Despite her fears that her father would never stop his attacks on them, Liam seemed to have been right.

They were safe.

It had been months without a single word from him. She'd had no run-in in town, Liam's traps had remained undisturbed and there had been no further bullets sent their way.

Winter was approaching and, honestly, Emma was more than ready for it. Snow would soon fall and trap them in their cozy cabin where they'd stay wrapped up tight in one another until the birth of their child in the spring.

Everything was ready. Liam had handcrafted a cradle and Emma had made plenty of blankets and outfits to keep the babe warm and swaddled.

The smokehouse and pantry were nearly bursting with food and the woodshed was full.

Yes, everything was perfect—except that Liam was preparing to leave for two days.

He had all his furs from the spring and summer loaded up on the cart and he was going to be taking them to a larger town in an effort to get more money for them. Emma knew he was trying to make enough money that he wouldn't have to do much trapping at all next year—she knew he wanted to be able to spend that time with her and their child.

But that wasn't going to make it any easier to say goodbye to him this morning.

"Are you sure you don't want to come?" Liam asked, stepping behind her and wrapping his arms around her growing middle.

Emma sighed, leaning into his embrace. "I'm sure. I don't think I'm up for quite that much cart sitting."

Patrick stepped out of the barn with Honey who was going to be pulling the loaded cart. "Don't you worry none, son. Hell Cat and I will have a good time and you'll be back before you know it."

Emma flushed and rolled her eyes. Patrick had been calling her Hell Cat ever since she had lost her temper with him when Liam had ridden up on the mountain to confront her father.

Apparently Emma had scared the man.

Honestly, she wasn't that bad... she hadn't even lost her temper much since.

"I'll be home in two days," Liam promised, turning her around so he could see her face.

Emma forced a smile. "Everything will be just fine. We'll barely have time to miss you."

Liam stooped low and gave her a quick kiss before walking around her and off the porch. She watched as he and Patrick hooked Honey up to the cart. Emma's stomach was in knots.

She didn't want Liam to leave—but she knew he had to.

"I'll take care of things around here," Patrick promised.

Liam clapped his hand on his father's shoulder. "I know."

He gave one last long glance to Emma after climbing into the cart and then pulled away.

Emma watched him until he rounded the bend and then she sighed as she pulled her shawl tighter. "It's getting too cold to stand out here. Come on in, Patrick. I have some fresh coffee brewed."