Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Emma stepped out of the mercantile with a basket full of supplies for Ms. Anita. It was yet another cold, February day, but the sky was a clear, crisp blue overhead.

Emma was too busy staring up at that sky to pay much attention to where she was going. Because of that, she ran into something hard and dropped her basket, sending the contents scattering.

"Hell, Emma, I'm sorry," Liam's voice had tremors running down her back.

His big, yet gentle hands, closed around her upper arms to steady her. "Are you okay?" he asked. "I wasn't paying attention to where I was going and ran you over."

Emma finally looked up, seeing those deep, brown eyes she'd been dreaming of for over a week. "I wasn't payin' attention either. We ran into each other."

A smile lit up Liam's face, highlighting his chiseled cheekbones. "Let me get all this up for you."

Emma watched as Liam gathered up the basket and items that had fallen. She couldn't help but appreciate the way Liam's lithe body moved. He reminded her of the elusive big cats on the mountain.

Liam hooked the basket over his arm. "Were you on your way back to Anita's?"

Emma could only nod. She wished she knew why he was here. Had it been chance or had Liam come to see her?

He held out his free arm and Emma hesitantly looped her arm through the crook of it. "How have you been?" Liam asked as they stared down the road arm in arm. Emma could feel eyes watching them from every direction.

"Good," Emma replied, unable to deny the peace, warmth and safety she felt being so close to Liam. He made her feel as if nothing in the world could ever harm her.

"I've been learnin' to read and write," she told him proudly.

"That's real good," Liam replied with a genuine smile. "Has town gotten better since your bad first day?"

"Yes." Emma laughed lightly. "Thankfully. Those boys came to Anita's with flowers for me, Sally and Lauren and they apologized."

"Good. They needed to apologize. Is that something you like?"

Emma frowned. "Apologies?"

A chuckle rumbled from Liam's chest. "No. Flowers."

Emma chewed at her lip. "I'd never been given flowers before. They were small, hardy winter weeds, but, yes. I liked them." Emma laid her free hand on Liam's forearm. "A funny thing happened the day they apologized."

Emma wondered why his throat bobbed when he glanced down at her hand. He stretched his neck to the side. "What happened?"

"One of the boys, William, asked Lauren to the dance this weekend."

"Did she say yes?"

Emma laughed lightly. "Yes. I still can't quite believe it."

Emma felt Liam stiffen lightly and she glanced at his face to see him frowning as he stared straight ahead. "Has anyone asked you to the dance?" he questioned tightly.

Emma nearly laughed out loud. "No, of course not! No one wants to go with the scrawny mountain girl who doesn't talk much..... Besides, I don't think I'd trust them...."