Lines of communication

*Disclaimer: this chapter could be a little uncomfortable (especially for guys). >.<" & to answer one of my loyal fans, nope no naughty scene in this chapter either. Skip ahead to next week *lol * Luv Vardin*

"We need to talk." Written into a slip of loose paper and folded into two.

I pushed it through one of the slits in Amy's locker, where I knew her mail holder would catch it. We always reverted to this mode of communication whenever we were on the outs with each other.

The chasm between us was becoming unbearable. I wanted to talk to my bestie about what had transpired since the State championship, but she had totally gone incommunicado on me. I especially needed her reassurance, today of all days, because later after school, Qin was going to drive me to Hell. But she was still ignoring my messages, calls and emails.

It's been three days, the longest we had gone without talking. Usually we would catch each other's eye, fall into each other's arms and forgive each other readily. But yesterday at lunch, she was approaching the table where I was sitting with some of the cheer sisters when she saw me. She immediately changed direction and made a beeline for the drama clubbers' table instead, where she chatted animatedly with them, all the time studiously ignoring me. I of course acted like it was no biggie, throwing myself into the ongoing discussion at my table. I wanted to show her I had other friends too, but still, I felt the cut acutely.

Was I really dead to her?

She was still dating Sam Rhodes though. Doing the kissy kissy with him in the hallway before going to their own classes. I was confused. Why was I being punished if she could allow Sam Rhodes to stick his tongue into her mouth? Did we actually just fight over Trevor McGill for no reason?

Speaking of Trevor, he cornered me at my locker early in yesterday morning as I was listlessly taking out my books for homeroom. I only saw his waiting form when I slammed the locker door shut. He looked uncertain and worried, his confidence level seemed to have dipped overnight.

"Hi," He said. I cast a furtive eye around the hallway for Amy, before I replied, "hi."

"I'm sorry about last night. I shouldn't have left you with that guy." He said the "that guy" like it was a curse word. "Are you alright?"

"I'm ok," I blasted him with my most friend-ly smile. There was no need to cold shoulder the guy just because of what happened between me and Amy. Besides he was a genuinely sweet and nice guy. I was just not into him, that was all. "I didn't get an opportunity to thank you last night. Thank you for dinner, Trevor, I had a nice time."

Trevor smiled.

"I'm glad to hear that. I was wondering if you want to do it again sometime? After your leg is completely healed, of course." He gestured at my leg brace.

Oh... man. I cringed inwardly. I did not like what was going to happen next, but I wasn't going to sit through another awkward dinner without setting a few things straight.

"Trevor." I made sure to maintain eye contact with him when I said this. "You're a great guy, but you should know that I am in a relationship with Ethan now. We can still hang out of course, you, me and Amy. As friends. Is that alright with you?"

Trevor's smile didn't falter.

"Sure thing, Mai." I mentally heaved a sigh of relief, and started walking towards homeroom. Trevor fell into step with me, silently offering to help carry my books. I passed my books to him with a grateful heart. Despite RICE and all the stretching exercises that I had been pushing myself into doing, I could still feel a knot in my leg whenever I walked.