ReBoot Chapter 5

The technician pulled the cable out from M3 23's input jack located on it's left hip just above the storage space for the Sonic Pulse Emitters.  He turned and looked at a second tech that was sitting at a terminal manipulating a large holo screen.  "That should do it!"  The first tech yelled to be heard over the roar of the transport they were flying in.

     "How did the simulations work?" asked the tech sitting at the terminal.  He didn't bother looking up from the screen in front of him.

     The first tech began to remove the harnesses that held M3 23 in place, starting with the legs so it could balance on it's own.  "Better than i though!  M3 23 ran two hundred and fifty simulations."  He paused as he looked at the small tablet that had been jacked into M3 23 just moments before.  "Eighty three of the simulations were successful."

     The second tech looked around the screen, "that high?  Wow, this new piece of weapon might actually make up for the billions spent on it."

     "Well, we are about to find out."  The first tech unhooked the last of the harnesses.  M3 23 stepped away from the wall as it had been programmed to do.  It moved to the center of the isle and then moved back to the large hatch door that was used to load and unload large amounts of cargo.  There it waited for it's next command.

     The transport ship bounced around with turbulence and the first tech retreated back behind the other tech to keep a safe distance from M3 23.  Twenty seconds passed with as much silence as you would experience flying at mach three in dense atmosphere.

     The transports comm chirped and then announced, "Thirty seconds until drop."  The first tech moved to the wall, lifted a protective case and pressed the large red button labeled DANGER.  Klaxons began to blare and amber warning lights began to flash and a sliver of light began to pour in though the opening rear hatch doors.

     The first tech covered his ears with the sudden pressure change combined with the roar of wind.  The second tech looked over at the first and mouthed "It's show time."

     The transports comm chirped again and then announced, "Drop in three, two, one, now."  Without hesitation M3 23 jumped from the transport that was moving over one thousand meters per second.  There was a slight lurch with the sudden movement of weight, but the transport continued on it's flight path.

     The first tech looked over at the second tech who was the only other person in the cargo hold.  Waving his hand he followed protocol and yelled "Clear clear clear!"  Then lifted the protective cover once again and hit the large red button.

     After ten seconds the rear door had once again sealed shut.  The first tech looked at the other and asked, "What are our orders now, Sir?"

     The second tech waved the first over and offered him a seat, "We are headed back to dock with Aegis.  The gun ship will pick up M3 23, so while we fly back lets watch the show.

     Both techs could see an overhead view of the outpost and several miles around.  Two forces were converging toward the outpost and M3 23 had just struck down on top of a hill a little ways from the outpost.  At first nothing seamed to happen, but then missiles from the Aegis began to rain down where M3 23 had called for it.  And M3 23 was moving.