Prologue

Prologue

                Hunted. For your mere existence. The only reason, because you were born. For hundreds of years Anevia had been hiding in plain sight. Constantly having to drop everything and move on at any moment. One of a kind was really not something she wanted to be. It had meant her death had been sealed at the moment of her first breath.

                She had seen death at a young age. Her father executed by his people. Her mother hunted down while she was but a youth of fifty years. After being on her own for over six centuries she had learned to live, and fight for her own survival. It was easy. Trust no one but yourself. And never be taken alive.

                As the child of two species at war with each other she could blend in with both, with the slight differences within her genetic makeup it meant she could also pass as human. That was where she had spent the majority of her life. Among the people looked down upon and used by the two factions that ruled the world.

                War had ravaged the world since the beginning of time, constant battles throughout history. But for the last twenty years, with the major advancements in weaponry, the war was coming to a head. Now in the year 2094 Anevia went by the name, Anya Lapin, only one of the many names she had used during her years. She had always had little in the way of possessions, but she had to admit, the technology of this time period meant some were extremely convenient in the times she needed to run.

                She had met few over the years who had left an impression. Most from either of her kind wanted her dead. They knew she existed and they sent out their hunters to find and destroy her. Usually she managed to escape unscathed, she had some skill, but most of her powers had gone untrained. She could not expect the humans around her to keep her secret. She could never be who she was truly meant to be, instead she had to be a ghost flitting from one place to another.

                When one group sent their hunters for her, she went into hiding on the other side of the line. She was impressed with herself, at how dangerous they thought her. She was laughably weak compared to those of both species. Yet she had outsmarted them multiple times. That brain she used now. PA to a human CEO. The human nature of the organisation only allowed due to the blood oath given by the CEO, Stefan Vitsin.

                When she said she was hiding in plain sight, she had regular contact with the people who in fact wanted her dead. Though she always made sure this was by phone, conference video or e-mail. If any actually came to the office she was mysteriously taken ill. Her outward appearance was known to few of her two species. Her scent and aura clear to see in person, giving her away in seconds.

                She found a certain ironic pleasure in the fact that she work this closely with those who wanted her dead. Never more so than when they sent her little thank you gifts for her timely work. She played a big risk in the job she had taken here. But she had never felt more challenged, or earned more in all her years so far.

                In a world that was ruled by Vampires and Angels, she was the only half breed to survive this long. Half breeds could not be allowed, an abomination of nature. And humans, allowed for the power they gave their owners. Anevia had no place in this world apart from the one she made for herself.