Chapter Thirteen

A set of cars came to a screeching into the hospital's side parking lot as tires skidded to a halt against the asphalt. Polished shoes touched the ground, hurrying about as the men exited the vehicles. A half dozen of them, guns tucked under coats, eyes scanning the perimeter. With a knock to the side of the second vehicle, the nearest man gave the all clear for its occupant to step out.

"I want one of you to go inside and tell Niki to get out here," Merik stated.

In the wee hours of the morning, the hospital held a calm about it, much removed from the usual clack of shoes against the linoleum, the ringing of phones, and the commotion of staff. Niki stood off in the hallway while the doctor finished up on Akko's stitches. From what had been told to him, the shot nicked an artery but didn't sever it. The woman Akko had been with, Ferra Grey, was credited with pinching the vessel shut with a bobby pin until the ambulance arrived. She left shortly after that, but she was still on Niki's mind. There was something about her. He just couldn't put his finger on it.

"Sir."

A man wearing glasses that Niki recognized as one of Merik's boys brought him out of his trance.

"Mr. Lambert is outside," the man said. "He wants to see you."

Niki cut a glance back at Akko, the doctor now applying the salve, before looking back at the gint in front of him, "Does he now?"

With a slight jerk of his neck, Niki called over Dietmar who had busied himself with a female nurse. Dietmar looked from Niki to the Lambert gint and back again.

"He's out there then?"

"Yeah," Niki replied. "Come with me."

Merik's men stood by attentively as their leader leaned against the car and watched the hospital entrance, the smoke from his cigarette wafting into the night air. At the sight of Niki and Dietmar coming out of the building, he stepped around to the front of the car. Niki took in the lot of Merik's group.

"Was there a memo I'm not privy to?"

Merik swaggered forward, "Considering what happened tonight, I wouldn't think you'd scoff at a little extra security."

"Oh you don't have to worry about me Merik," Niki smirked.

Cigarette smoke blew from Merik's nose, a scowl on his face. "I'm not. My only issue here is that you almost got one of my men killed tonight."

His tone level, but his words were laced with malice. He glared at Niki while taking a long drag of his cigarette. From behind him, Tadeon spoke up.

"Sir, he seemed fine when I saw him in there. They're probably wrapping him up as we speak."

Nearly all eyes were on Tadeon. Merik turned slowly and looked back at Tadeon. His eyes narrowed, but he said nothing, turning his attention to Niki once more.

"To say I'm not happy is putting it lightly Niki," Merik said through clenched teeth. "That was my man who got shot tonight."

"Tell me Merik," Niki said, taking a step closer. "Are you really angry that your man was shot...or are you angry that your other man missed?"

Merik dropped the cigarette on the ground and moved forward, the men now less than two feet from each other.

"Are you insinuating that I ordered the hit?"

"Oh I can't get anything past you," Niki said wryly. "This is the second time a member of House Vikaeli has been the target of an assassination in only the past few weeks. Failed attempts though they may be."

"You mean the Alderman right?" Merik asked. "Funny how after that, he's strolling the streets hand in hand with a damn Veldt. You're throwing out these accusations when I can throw one right back at you." He jabbed a finger into Niki's chest, "The enemy is sleeping in your bed and you have yet to cut his throat."