Chapter 5

Chapter 5

 (Tormented Isaac----->)

My heart was firmly lodged in my throat as I scurried around the room hopping into whatever clothes I managed to lay my hands on. Flora had called not even five minutes ago waking me up of my sleep and promptly informed me that there was an incident concerning Isaac, and that he had to be physically restrained and sedated. And that little bit of news caused my blood pressure to shoot up through the roof.

 My hands shook as I pulled on my sweat pants because I was angry enough to spit nails and damn it, heads were going to roll when I get to the Institute. I had placed specific orders in his medical record clearly stating that there was to be absolutely no show of physical force what so ever was to be performed on him, and absolutely no use of restraints of any kind on his person. Bodily contact and the binding of his limbs were major triggers for him.

  I had found that out the hard way when he was arrested and held in custody. He needed extensive preparation just to be cuffed and transported to court for the first time. He had gotten so distressed and worked himself up to the point that his hearing had to be rescheduled.  I had to make myself available for his counseling and support by order the Judge whenever he had to be in court.  So I could only imagine that they must have sent him into an almost catatonic state when they rushed him and pinned him down to administer his sedative.

  The word livid was not the term you could have used to describe the level of pissed off that I was feeling right about now.  My staff’s actions tonight have most likely managed to further traumatize my patient, even more so than he already was. I couldn’t help but to wonder what had happened in the first place? What had scared him and triggered a reaction strong enough that he had to be chemically restrained?  I didn’t have the time for Flora to explain the whole story to me after she had muttered out the words about it taking four Orderlies to take Isaac down. I  had found myself uncharacteristically screaming at her and she had gone quiet on the other end of the line until I barked out further orders for  them to see to Isaac’s comfort and care and most importantly for them to leave him the Hell alone until I arrived.

  Finally, when I made it to my car and got on the road that would take me to the Institute, my eyes were constantly flicking between the road ahead and rear view mirrors checking for any flashing lights of a Police cruiser because there was no doubt about it, I was speeding as the miles and the trees flew by in my haste to get to Isaac. I did everything from counting to breathing air in through my nose and expelling it out of my mouth in a desperate attempt to try to calm myself down.

  My feelings of outrage and condemnation would have been triggered for any of my patients in a situation like this, but because it was Isaac, poor Isaac who has already been through so much and has silently suffered alone and terrified through unimaginable horrors of the things that had been done to him by his sadistic Stepfather for God knows how long; horrors that literally drove him out of his mind, reducing him to the point where his basic instinct of self preservation ruled and he was convinced that he had to commit murder in order for his torment to stop. It cut me to the core and my heart and I felt like it was shattering into multiple pieces in my chest for him, it felt like his pain was my pain and this set back tonight was far from my promise to him of  helping him trough his recovery.

 Someone was going to give me answers, I don’t care who, but whoever it was needed to explain to me damn it, how had they managed to let this happen. What was going on at this time of the morning that warranted the actions of my staff having to man handle a patient? Not that the need to do so has never cropped up before, it has but never on the third floor and never with someone as fragile as Isaac. I was already upset enough to feel like I wanted to fire the entire floor of employees for their incompetence.