Chapter 5

Chapter 5

*Zoey Saunders*

        tick.tick.tick. 

        There went the clock in my room again. I glanced at it and I read 3:00 AM. Great Zoey, no sleep. AGAIN. I silently got up from my bed and I wrapped myself in my favorite robe. My sister gave it to me for my birthday a few years ago.

        Sarah.

        I remembered my really happy, perfect family. Mom and Dad were smiling and taking photos; Sarah was fixing the candles on my red velvet cake; Wallie, my dog, was barking happily at the balloons; and Xavier was playing "Happy Birthday" on the piano in our living room. That was all before Xavier left me, before my parents started acting weird and before my sister passed away.

        Xavier.

        I still couldn't believe him. He was full of broken promises. 

        I expected him to come back, and that we could be friends again, possibly. But then, it was an impossible dream. A fairytale, that was what my life used to be. Now it was some nightmare that I couldn't run away from. No matter what. I slipped out of my room and I carefully made my way down the hallway, into Sarah's room. I miss you Sarah. The words echoed across my mind as I plopped down on her pink carpet floor. And before I knew it, the tears started to flow uncontrollably. As always. I had been crying too much, I noticed. A day never passed when I didn't cry.

        The pale moonlight shined through the pink blinds of her window, casting a beautiful reflection. I turned around to gaze at the moon. It was perfect. A full, complete, shape. Unlike me. I was a broken glass, that had been shattered to a billion pieces and was beyond repair. But, I was healing. I wiped the tears away. It was Romeo, he was saving me. Under normal circumstances, I guessed I should have been suspicious of him. I mean, it wasn't everyday that a complete stranger answered a disturbing question of yours and actually revealed a little bit of themself too. But he was sincere. He was different. But was he really who I thought he was?

        What if he was like Xavier? What if this was just a game to him? What if this meant nothing to him at all? What if... 

STOP. 

        He would have never thought that.

        He said so himself. All the proof I needed were in his replies that were kept away in the tin box under my matress. 

        Just like that my entire perspective is changed. Romeo needed me too. It was up to me to save him. His friend must have meant the world to him, like Xavier was to me. Maybe, just maybe, Xavier would actually say sorry. But that was impossible, he saw me. He saw me and he acted as if I wasn't there! What if he didn't even remember me anymore? Some teardrops rolled down my face again, but I didn't wipe them anymore.

        I sighed. Romeo, Romeo, Romeo, what the hell would I have done if it weren't for you?

        I flicked on the desk lamp on my sister's desk and looked for some paper. My fingers glided across the smooth surface as they searched for some paper. When I pulled one sheet out of her small drawer, I was surprised to see that it was purple. Xavier's favorite color. Stop thinking about him Zoey! He didn't care about you anymore. He didn't need me anymore. He didn't even remember me anymore… But you know what? I didn't need him anymore too. And with that, I continued my correspondence with Romeo as my fingers clicked on my pen, then I began to write.