Chapter 1

CHAPTER ONE

I stared at the ceiling above me, the stairs digging into my back, as I fingered the silver owl necklace I wore. It’s emerald eyes glistening in the florescent light. I closed my eyes, recalling the dream. A boy with dark, wispy, brown hair reached for me, his arm straining to reach me. His eyes were darker than the midnight sky when no stars nor the moon could be seen. I tried to grab for it, our fingers brushed. I could feel my grip slipping from the slick rock I held onto. My hand slid from it and I could feel myself falling and I could see the boy moving farther and farther away, a horrified and pained expression on his face.

My heart renched in my chest. Every time. Every time I thought about him, every time I remembered our fingers touching, my heart went from a slow, steady walk to a full on gallop in .01 seconds flat.

I don’t even know him, I told myself. I shook my head, feeling the stair dig into my head this time. I flinched and sat up, rubbing it. I glared at my untouched lunch next to me. I hated school. I hated school food. Papai’s food is much better. Papai cooked Brazilian food every night for dinner. I never got tired of it. When I was little, he would say to me,

Minha Deusa, you are the daughter of a Brazilian, you need the food of Brazil! Not what these silly Americans call food! You need food that can be taught to your children and their children! Food that brings spirit to any person's soul.He always called me Minha Deusa. My Goddess.

I smiled to myself. I loved Papai. I sighed and stood up. My body felt stiff as I stretched. I looked at my cell phone, old and cheap, that used to be only for contacting Papai. 12:11. Ten minutes until lunch was over.

Might as well ditch, I thought, Papai was right, who needs these stupid American’s? I hitched my backpack over my shoulder and headed down the hall for the door. I walked into the door, anticipating it to open with the push handle. It didn’t. I pushed again, a couple of times. I knew we had a closed campus and all, but they doors were never locked from the inside. I tried again.

What the heck?! This was really weird. I tried the other doors, but they were all locked, too.

“You’re not going to be able to get out, Daughter of Athena,” a voice cooed from behind me. I spun. Standing before me was the weirdest looking person, or more like thing, I had ever seen. And I knew what it was.

“A sereia?!” I hissed. Papai had told me stories of the sereia. They were monsters with wings for arms and bird legs, but had the body and head of a beautiful woman. They would sit on the edge of rivers, or cliffs next to the sea, and use their beautiful voices to seduce sailors and kill them.

“Yes, child, I am a Siren, as these crude Americans call me.” Her voice was delicate and beautiful. It didn’t bother me though, since I am female. I snorted,

“At least we agree on one thing.” Her laugh was a soft tinkling sort of noise, the noise that would make a man fall to his knees.

“Yes, to bad I have to kill you,” she said in mock sadness. My smirk turned from a smile to a look of concern. Then it dawned on me. I was talking to a siren. I was talking to a full-freaking-fledged monster. I starred at her.

I must be hallucinating, I told myself. I closed my eyes and rubbed them, then opened them again. She still stood there, now with a puzzled look. She shrugged awkwardly and her face turned hard. Ready for battle.

She lunged for me, one of her clawed hands aiming for my throat. Right as I thought my life was about to end, I heard the sound of metal hitting metal. I opened my eyes just slightest bit, moving my hands from in front of my face just a little. Stood in front of me was a boy. He had dark brown wispy hair. I stared at him. He looked over at me. His eyes, darker than dark, bore into mine. I know these eyes. They flashed with anger,

“Run!” he yelled at me. I hesitated for a moment, than sprinted down the hallway. That was one of my unknown, random qualities. I was probably the fastest runner in the, like, state. I heard the flap of wings against air and a not-so-pretty screeching noise from behind me. I looked back momentarily to see the Siren following my down the hall. I ran faster. I heard a thud and crash and another screech. I slowed and looked back once again to find the boy pinning the thing to the floor. I stopped. I watched as the Siren opened her mouth. She was about to sing.

“Cover her mouth! She is about to sing! QUICK!” He looked up at me confused at first then realized what I had said. He quickly clamped his bare hand over her mouth. She wriggled and squirmed beneath him. She seemed pretty weak for a monster.

Before the Siren could make a single move or peep, the boy lifted his hand from her mouth and stabbed his sword into her black, silk clothed chest. Her eyes bulged and she gaped and the sword in her chest, not a noise escaping from her mouth. A gold liquid poured from the wound, then she disintegrated into thin air, leaving behind only faint sparkle of teal dust in the air where she was.

It was my turn to gape. I starred at the spot where the monster once laid only momentarily, then I looked at the boy, then back down at the empty space.

“Wha- wh- what-?”

“I can explain this-”

“WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?!” I screamed at him. He looked more shocked than I had when I saw the Siren disappear.  “YOU JUST FREAKING STABBED THAT SEREIA OR SIREN OR WHATEVER AND IT EVAPORATED TO FREAKING DUST! WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?!” I fell to my knees, staring at the floor. “I’m going crazy aren’t I? Seeing monsters, a boy from dreams, and having the monster bleed gold and disappear into thin air. What is wrong with me . . . ?” I covered my face with my hands.

The guy stood up, hooking the sword onto his belt, and walked over to me. He kneeled down on one knee.

“Hey, you’re not crazy, you’re Adriana, right?”

I stared at him,

“Um, yeah, how did you know?”

A smirk formed on his lips,

“Because, I have been looking for you.”

______________________________________________________________________

NFTA: Sorry that the chapter is so short, I kind of just wrote it this way for effect, so please bear with me! I hope you guys enjoy this! Please vote and comment! Much Love <3

P.S. I was wondering if anyone could help me on making a cover? I have no idea what to use as a picture! If anyone has ideas it will be greatly aprreciated!!!! THANKS! <3