The Kids From Yesterday

They went to bed early that night, exhausted and shell shocked from the events of the day. Frank slept curled on the couch, holding his jacket tightly and twitching every now and then. Gerard didn't sleep much at all, upset over the loss of his friends and worried about the new addition to their group. He spent the time with the small lamp by his cot on, sketching out ideas for a new mask and doodling ideas for a code name.

Outside, out in the Zones, he, Mikey, and Ray all went by code names to protect their identities. Gerard was Party Poison; Mikey was the Kobra Kid and Ray was Jet Star. After half a night of brainstorming and different ideas, he fell into a fitful sleep with the name Fun Ghoul underlined twice on the page, surrounded by drawings.

The next morning, Gerard, Mikey, and Ray decided to stay in for the day, recuperating and getting to know their new friend. Frank didn't wake up until the sun was high in the sky, and when he did he was just as confused as when he first awoke in the base. Gerard talked him through his fear again, and soon he was relaxed enough that they could sit down with him on the couch and tell him about their lifestyle.

It turned out that Frank was well suited for the Killjoy life. Born and raised in Battery City, he had been kicked out of multiple schools for being too rebellious and different. His family had relocated to the Zones when the Exterminators burned down their house because they were not complying with city-wide curfews and regulations. There, he had gotten into just as much trouble, enjoying the freedom the Zones represented. He had been interested in joining the Killjoys, but because the danger of being "dusted" by Exterminators was so high, people were paranoid. He was told to stop asking, and mind his own business.

"Look what good that did me," Frank said bitterly, finishing his recount. Gerard then began to tell Frank all about the life he and Mikey and Ray led. They were all born out in the Zones, in a town long eradicated by Exterminators or Zone Sickness. None of them even remembered their families, let alone what life was like in a town or a city. They had been born in the Zones, and they had been raised by the Zones.

At noon, they tuned in to Dr. Death's radio station to hear any news about Wolfblood Beach. After listening to a few songs that were playing, Dr. D started to talk.

"We've got a new Zone Report for all you Killjoys out there; I'm sad to say that yesterday, Wolflood Beach was dusted. Our friend Party Poison surveyed the site and the report is that there was only one survivor. Wherever you are, kid, we're rooting for you. I sent Show Pony out there this morning, and he tells me the place is flattened, ghosted out on the Miracle Mile.

"A warning to travelers to steer clear for a while, because Exterminators are blasting anything that moves. Route Guano is safer than any alternatives, but be safe rock-n-rollers, because Scarecrow is cracking down on us. And now, the weather-"

Gerard flicked off the radio and sat back on the couch, sighing. Frank just stared numbly out the window, his long black hair brushing his chin as he rocked slightly. Ray turned on the television, but immediately turned it off in disgust when a BL/ind commercial came on with a morbid smiley face that read 'have you smiled today?' Mikey picked at his fingers for a while before getting up and breaking the silence awkwardly.

"We, uh – we should go for a cruise," he suggested, grabbing the keys to the trans-am and twirling them on his finger. "Like we used to before, just for fun." Ray nodded at Gerard, discreetly jerking his head towards Frank, who was dejectedly shuffling his shoes. Gerard got the memo and shot up from his seat, startling everyone.

"I've had a marvelous idea!" he proclaimed, grinning as he proudly stood with his hands on his hips. "Let's go for a cruise!" Ray laughed loudly, Mikey only rolling his eyes and tossing the keys to Gerard. Frankie smiled faintly at them and sat back, watching them gather their things.

"You guys have fun," he said quietly, leaning forward so his elbows rested on his knees. Gerard just scoffed, walking back over to him and gently grabbing his arm.

"Oh no," he said, pulling Frank to his feet. "You're coming with us." Mikey grabbed a green army jacket with an archaic flag with stars and stripes on it, throwing it to Frank, who slipped it on over his yellow and black shirt. Gerard threw him a bandana to tie around his face and a Frankenstein mask.

"Wh-what's all this for?" Frank asked, shoving the mask in his pocket and tying the bandana around his neck.

"You're one of us now," Mikey said, heading out the door. Ray was already leaning against the car, his astronaut helmet already on but the visor flipped up. Gerard motioned Frank to follow his brother, taking up the rear and closing up behind them.

"Yeah, and since you're one of us, you're going to need a code name," Gerard spoke up, walking around to the driver's side of the car before stopping and looking back at Frank. "How do you like 'Fun Ghoul'?" Frank grinned, wincing slightly at the pain that shot through his cheek before replying.

"I love it."

They decided to visit Dr. Death as they drove, taking a turn onto Route Guano and heading towards Zone 2. Ray and Frank shared a can of BL/ind's Power Pup Pre-Moistened Kibble. Although they hated almost everything BL/ind stood for, their products were the only thing available out in the Zones. When they were almost there, they noticed Show Pony skating down the middle of the road at full speed, heading the same way they were. Gerard slowed down a bit to match his pace as they drove, and Ray stuck his head out the window.

"Why such the rush, Show Pony? Where's Destroya?" he asked, yelling slightly to be heard. Show Pony shook his head and kept skating, bending his knees and speeding up.

"They've got her," he yelled, pulling ahead and swerving straight into Dr. Death's station. Gerard slammed on the breaks, turning in sharply and parking the car. As soon as he stopped, they all jumped out and ran into the station after Show Pony, although Frank was more than a little confused about the whole thing.

"Who is Destroya?"

A/N: Aw, shit.