Chapter 02.

Christina

"Hello, My name is Christina Fulton. This is my first day and I was told to meet my manager here in the lobby. His name is-" I started to tell the receptionist, but a voice interrupted.

"Hey Christina!" 

I turned around to see a husky black man, probably in his early forties, walking towards the check-in desk where I stood. 

"So nice to meet you in person, finally. Blake Scott, director of the IT department, we spoke over the phone," he continued, and extended his hand.

"Nice to finally meet you too, Blake," I said smiling and shaking his hand. I took a few seconds to check him out. He was wearing a burgundy polo shirt with khakis and wallabees. I could tell by his mannerisms and tight slacks that he had been to private schools for most of his childhood.

"We're so excited to have you with us. Did you get moved in alright?"

"Yes, I'm staying with my aunt for now," I responded.

"Well lets get started. I'll introduce you to your team and show you your workspace. Your direct manager, Todd, is out sick for the day. Hopefully he'll be back tomorrow to take you on a full tour and get you up to speed."

Before I could respond, Blake was already headed to the elevators, telling me how much I would like the city, despite the boring reputation that outsiders had given it. I hurried behind, hoping everyone else at the job didn't move as fast as he did.

-------------------------

It was a few minutes past noon and I was looking forward to leaving for lunch. Ever since I sat in my new cubicle, I felt like at least 100 people had walked up and introduced themselves. It was exciting to finally have a real job, and I was equally happy about having such friendly coworkers. However, I had shook one too many hands. I would try and find the emptiest setting possible so that I could at least enjoy one hour of solitude. I slipped away from my desk unnoticed and headed to Main St. Aunt Tori might live in the boonies, but I'm grateful to have a job in a lively area of town. I appreciated the vivid display of countless restaurants, shops, and streetlights for goodness sake. 

As I started to walk, I began to regret my outfit of choice. The sun seemed to beam directly onto me, and the humidity in the air made me began to sweat. I took off my suit jacket and placed it over my forearm. Thank God my blouse is sleeveless. Hopefully there's a decent mall around here somewhere. I'll get some decent summer attire on the weekend. 

I casually walked down the sidewalk, taking notice of my surroundings. There were quite a few people downtown at this hour. I assumed from their outfits that they too, were on their lunch breaks.  There was a slew of people in business suits, which surprised me. I always thought Mississippi to be an ordinary state, with ordinary people. I didn't expect to see this big of a professional crowd. But it's a good thing, I suppose. After walking for about five minutes, I decided to settle in at a small deli called "Moe's". I had never heard of it, and it didn't appear to be too upscale. However, there was a happy hour sign in the window, and the heat was starting to get to me. 

When I walked into the restaurant, I was immediately hit with an aroma of fresh baked bread. I glanced at all of the wooden tables and estimated that there were about nine people seated. This worried me, because I thought the food may not be good. Though at the same time, I was relieved to find a quiet setting in such a busy atmosphere. I stood at the front, unsure if anyone had noticed my entrance. Then I saw a teenager in a yellow apron walk briskly towards me, carrying two glasses of water. 

"Welcome to Moe's, seat yourself and I'll be right with you," he said as he walked past. He hardly made eye contact when he spoke, as he was focused on delivering the drinks to a couple seated at a table by the window.