=~3=~

Hailie was propped up in her bed when she woke. She supposed her neck had started to cave. Five pillows were up against her back, and she looked around. Jonathon was asleep, and Maria was back. Oli must have left.

Maria looked up and smiled, standing up.

"Hungry?" She asked, crossing to the food processor. Hailie murmured, and fell back into sleep as the food plugged itself into her stomach.

~*~

The days were getting shorter now. Hailie didn't know why. Morphine was slow-reacting but very effective, and she was constantly in a drowsy, tranquil state. It was better than the pain that launched its ruthless attack each time the painkillers were switched off. Her mother came and went, with a touch of her fingers on Hailie's cheek, and talked in low voices to Oli and Maria. Jonathon was not there.

~*~

Jonathon was yelling. Something about Lee. Hailie tried to wake up, but her mind drifted to calmer things and she fell asleep. Maybe the Morphine was too strong? Had they switched to something else? Hailie didn't care, she liked the softness as the days rolled by.

"Look, if we take her off the painkillers, she'll have another attack. The pain from her damaged spine is too much. It's showing up on the scans," said a voice. It sounded angry. Hailie faintly associated it with Jonathon...

"She wouldn't want to live this way! As a vegetable!" Cried another voice. Hailie almost flinched away from it.

"She moved. OK? She can still here us. She's not a vegetable. She is still able to have conversations and be normal Lee!" Insisted someone, and Hailie felt a hand brush her forehead. It was soft, and the fingernails long. Maria. No. She cut her nails for her work.

"Mum?" Hailie whispered. Her throat was dry.

"Lee?" Came Jonathon's voice.

"Mmm?" She didn't really want to be berated with questions. She just wanted to....

"Don't go to sleep yet, Lee!"

But it was too late.