23

Uzumaki Hikaru sighed as he laid in his bed, the ever-faithful Genmaki by his right side and his oldest daughter on the other. He turned to his daughter and let out a groan of pain. His time was growing short.

"Kaname, be a dear and fetch the others. I don't think I have long left in this world."

Kaname nodded sadly and left to gather those who had come. Hikaru turned his head back to Genmaki and smiled sadly.

"It seems our time together is growing short my old friend. I only wish that I could have more time."

Don't say such things Hikaru. We've been together for over eighty years.

"I know. But it all seems a blur now. My only consolation is that I can see my dear Kaoru again."

Silence reigned in that room as Genmaki observed his aged charge. Out of all the foxes, he was the only one left of the originals. Gin and Shin had gone back when Juugo and Karin had died. Penni had been at Tsunade's side as she passed away and had actually cried. She'd become quite attached to the old woman. Megumi had tried to nurse Sakura when she fell ill, but she couldn't fix whatever was wrong with her. It was with great sadness that she went back to the fox realm. She begged Naruto to let her go back and he swore that when a suitable child was found for her, she could go immediately. Poor Megumi had become the most attached of all of them to humans. Having no kits of her own, she had substituted Naruto's family as her own.

He turned his thoughts inward and remembered the old days. He had watched with pride as Hikaru had grown. Achieving the chuunin status at twelve and jounin at fifteen. He had stood by proudly at his wedding to Sabaku no Kaoru and had been ecstatic when the girl had accepted one of his kits as her familiar. He had seen Hikaru's children born and had never been more happy as his wife became the familiar for one of the children when they came of age.

His family had flourished because of Lord Naruto and he was forever grateful. His only regret in this lifetime he had spent with Hikaru would be saying goodbye. He bowed his head in an attempt to hide his sadness.

Hikaru was lost in his own thoughts. He was going over his life, a sure sign that his life was nearly over. He remembered the first time he met Genmaki and GamaKichi. He thought back to the first time he met his wife and chuckled softly when he thought of how he had said that girls were yucky. Genmaki heard him laugh and asked what was funny.

"Just thinking of the past. Hey, remember when Juugo became Hokage and was livid because I was passed up?"

Yes, I do. He said it should have been yours by birth and you told him that he was a better leader. I still don't understand your logic there.

"Juugo was the better leader. I was a better big brother. I wasn't meant to lead a country. I'm not my father; I don't have the constitution to order people around. I was put here to give advice and raise a family that my father couldn't. I just hope he's proud of me."

I know he is.

Hikaru nodded and immersed himself in thought again. He closed his eyes and remembered the sad jounin Hatake Kakashi. He couldn't think of why he thought of the man but he did. His death had been a mystery. Labeled MIA by Konoha, no one knew what had become of him, but Hikaru did. Naruto had been willing to let the man live in misery, but Ino was not so forgiving. She'd come home one night with her claws covered in blood and Hikaru just knew it was Kakashi's. He just knew.

Thinking of Kakashi made him think of the Daimyo who had sold them out. His father had personally took care of the fat little man and he had brought the children with him to witness his judgment.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

After Team Ino had fled to Konoha, the Daimyo had ran to one of his safehouses and stayed hidden for months. Once he deemed it safe to return to the capitol, his caravan moved out. Exactly one mile outside the gates, they'd been stopped by a tall blonde man with blood red ears and nine tails waving behind him. He stood with his head down, his hands at his side. One of the samurai on detail had walked forward and told him to move himself by order of the Daimyo. Naruto never looked up and kept his voice low.