12

Naruto and Ino sat on the couch, with the vulpine council facing them, sitting on pillows that Naruto had thrown down. Sakura and the children were instructed to wait in her house on the grounds. The foxes were not very impressed with this display and one let it be known that the vulpine stood on ceremony. Even the old Kyuubi had been a stickler for tradition and pomp. Naruto glared at them and shook his head.

"I'm sorry to inform you, honored council members, but I do not stand on ceremony. I may have been born of noble blood, but I was not raised a nobleman. I lived alone my whole life, I had no one to love me, and everyone ignored me. I don't like pomp and circumstance, I don't like formalities, and I don't like it when someone tells me that tradition outweighs what is right. Do not presume that I will stand by what has been done for so many years. I will do what is right for my people, nothing more, nothing less."

You see honored council members? Lord Naruto is the best choice we could possibly want for king. He is kind and wise, strong and firm. I believe...

At this point the large white fox growled at Genmaki, who flattened his ears and tucked his tail.

Do not speak out of turn here Genmaki. Your opinions have already been duly noted. You were only to observe the prospective king, not befriend him. I feel your judgement has been clouded. We let you carry your post too long.

A loud, guttural growl was heard to the front of the vulpine council and they turned to see a very irate Ino and a fuming Naruto with glowing blue eyes. His tails swished angrily and his whisker marks, teeth, and fangs had become undeniably pronounced. Even in the dead of night, people could feel the unbridled anger rolling off the vulpine king. The pressure he was emitting was suffocating and the council in front of him were terrified. Without changing to his fox form, Naruto's voice deepened.

You will NEVER speak to a friend of mine in such a manner. He has stood by me since my ascension to king and you will respect him the way you respect me. If you believe me unsuited for being your king, then by all means, piss off and go away. But know this. This power is mine and if you try to seal it away, I will come down upon you with a terrible vengeance. I have dealt with a pompous council once already in my mortal life and I shall not deal with one in my own realm. If you do not like this, then tell me now, and we shall do something about it.

The blue furred fox stepped forward and bowed its head respectfully.

We meant no disrespect Lord Naruto. It is just that Genmaki is only a five tail. He does not have the wisdom or privilege to speak here unless spoken to.

"Then I will give him the privilege. My mate is only a two tail. Does this mean that she as well must hold her tongue when something needs to be said? Your tails do not belie your knowledge. They only signify your status and power. The lowliest commoner can have the best sense and the noblest blood. Fools are born to all lines, but the truly noble and greatest of us all work for their status. Under my reign, the foxes will prosper, not because they look down their noses at those beneath them, but because those willing to work for their station will be rewarded greatly. If I deem a fox worthy of more power, I will grant them such. I will not deny even a commoner a chance at happiness because they were born of low station."

The gray fox stood and bowed.

So, Lord Naruto, what you are saying is that as regent you will bring all classes together? That is foolhardy. It will never work.

"And why not councilman?"

The white fox spoke again.

Because the class system is there for a reason. It is there to show who are the betters and who holds the lowest of blood. The upper class rules because we are fit to rule. The lower class serves because that is what they are born to do.